Radiator hoses

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cee21

Radiator hoses

Post by cee21 »

This is for Malcomn mostly because his set up looks exactly like mine. What part numbers, upper and lower radiator hoses, did you use to piece them together? That is if you have them wrote down of course. Just trying to save my self some headache looking through rad hoses.
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

My setup is similar to Malcolms and I used an 89 Mustang 5.0L upper radiator hose.
To be honest, I don't like the fit. It comes right over the top of the alternator as you see there. It even came with that plastic accordion thing since I guess it did the same thing in the Mustangs. A much better fitting hose is the upper from a 1996-2001 V8 Explorer. I don't know why I didn't think to try that when I was looking for hoses myself especially since the motor was an Explorer motor. But live-n-learn.

The lower hose is part 89 Ranger lower and part 89 Mustang lower joined together in the middle.
The Ranger lower attaches to the radiator and the Mustang lower attaches to the motor. I used a radiator hose patch-kit thing to join the two together. The kit came with 3 different size adapters and a tube of cement sealer. So far, that setup hasn't given me any problems but if there's a better setup out there, I'd gladly do away with it whenever it's time to replace those hoses.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Sorry no I did not write down any part numbers. I just test fitted what I could till I found something that worked.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

On my upper i used a piece off a 1979 LTD 2 and a 90 elbow i cut off a piece I had laying around. For the lower i used the stock hose off the 2.0 motor i believe it was but im not sure. I can get numbers for all the hoses tomorrow if you interested in them. Just let me know. Here are some pics.

1988 5.0 Ranger
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Is the lower off a 2.0 from a Ranger?
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

cee21 wrote:Is the lower off a 2.0 from a Ranger?
I thought it was but i just went and got the number and it a lower off a 1979 ltd 2. I had to cut a little bit off each end to get it right and i had to soak one end in hot water to get it over the part on the water pump. But it fit and works fine.
1988 5.0 Ranger
Linc's 93 Splash

Re: Radiator hoses

Post by Linc's 93 Splash »

I used the funky plastic 3-piece "radiator hose splice kit" (Victor brand?) to join the two bottom hose pieces. It's been on for 15 years now, with no troubles.

The top was hoses were spliced with a galvanized steel barbed fitting from Tractor Supply, I think. I never liked the way it looked, and am ***FINALLY*** going to break down and try one of the Explorer upper hoses for fun.
'93 Splash, '97 Explorer 5.0 with B cam, FMS headers, TREMEC 3550 trans. Swapped in Feb '01
faststang90

Re: Radiator hoses

Post by faststang90 »

I just ordered mine from james duff. I have there radiator