Rear end swap help

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87ranger
SM: No

Post by 87ranger »

yea, ALL the ranger spring pads are the same, but there were changes to the brake shoe/drum depth and brake backing plate offset in relation to the axle housing flange and possibly the axle flange location to the bearing package, good subject though
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I do know there's a difference between my truck's 1993 10" brakes and my 1997 Ranger's 10" brakes. I bought a hardware pack for the rear brakes of my 97 a few years ago when I did the rear brakes on it. I had parts left over that I didn't need to use so I just kept them around in case I ever needed them later. I tried to use them on my truck's 93 RE when I replaced the brake cylinders and shoes. But some of the springs just weren't bent the same as what was coming off. Others were. The pins that push through the back side of the brake plate to hold the shoes in place were shorter on the 97 and couldn't be used on the 93. So there were mods done to the Ranger 10" brakes over the years even between 93 and 97. The interesting thing though is even with the obvious mod differences between the two years, the distances from the spring perches to the end of the tubes are the same for both my 93 and 97 RE...5.5". And according to Dave in his post above, his 2000 Ranger's RE is 5.5" from perch to tip.

I'll do my best to get some measures from the perch to hub-face (the surface the inside of the brake drum contacts) next time I'm out at the house. If someone with a 93 or newer Ranger RE pulls their rear wheels any time soon, can you try to get a measure from the outer edge of the spring perch to your RE's hub face?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

just measure hub to hub, and if it doesnt jive with the posted measurements on the ranger station page that i posted then i dont know what to tell ya
twin turbo v8 menace
ben_2_go

Post by ben_2_go »

87ranger wrote:just measure hub to hub, and if it doesnt jive with the posted measurements on the ranger station page that i posted then i dont know what to tell ya
axle width doesn't matter it's hub to hub.If you are using drums or disk make sure to include that as well.The thickness of them can add up to half an inch over all.If your axle has a stepped center to keep the wheel centered,and you measure it you can add more to your width and it will not be true width.My 01 has 1/8 inch sticking out past the center of wheel lip.I hope this helps out.