Body seam

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

Body seam

Post by bigburl »

I started laying over the seam across the bell housing tunnel last night. There is an extra piece of metal on the right side that looks to be a heat shield of sorts. Do I just lay everything over or should I try to remove this piece? Also will it hurt anything to saw some slits into the seam to make it easier to bend? Please don't laugh at me, I felt a lot more intelligent about this project before I started.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I put some slits into my seam too. Makes it much easier to bend back in sections. I then came back with some body cork and made sure it was still all sealed up and then finished it with some black bed liner spray (cheap stuff in a spray can) so it wouldn't rust out.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Same here except I didn't body cork mine. I don't live in an area that gets roads salted so I'm not in the same risk for rusting out. However when I pull the engine, I probably will go back in and spray that bedliner stuff since I can see some surface rust on all the beaten places.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I did the exact same as malcom. I put couple of cuts in the seam bent it down, and it bent really easy. I bent mine downward so it was flush. then i used some type of silicon body sealer stuff (forget what it was called),I let it dry, than i took a thin layer of short strand fiber glass put it over the seem to make it perfectly smooth. sanded it puttyed it sanded it gave it a shot of rubberized undercoating (so it could be painted) finally sprayed it with some white rust paint! Now you would never even know there was a seem there!

My truck also had the heat sheild on the passenger side, I drilled the rivets out got rid of the sheild before I started to cut and bend the flange over!

also depending on the headers you use you wanna make sure you have the seem bent over to the frame on the passenger side. The L&L hedders I had hit the seem (the collector part) so make sure you got enough bent over before droping the engine in!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

Some Rangers have a heat shield like you describe. Go ahead and remove it. If your new exhaust is too close to the body, you can remount it where needed, which may not be in the same location.