Wiring problems-Fuel guage

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

manimal_fla
SM: No

Wiring problems-Fuel guage

Post by manimal_fla »

Does anyone know how to hook up the fuel guage in a 83 ranger?I got it running good now but someone before me unhooked all the wiring.I can see two wires coming from the tank and two wires coming from the guage but how do they hook up,need some power from somewhere huh?
Thanks,
Rick
MercuRanger

Post by MercuRanger »

Power comes from the "regulator" on the back of the cluster, to one side of the gauge, then to the sender, then to ground.

Mike
'83 Ranger Reg Cab 5.0 4x4 (Neverending project)
'99 Grand Am (Daily transportation)
'95 Lumina Van (Wife's car)
'51 Chevy Styleline Deluxe (future project)
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

Is there any way of testing the sender befor you drop the tank?
I have hooked up another gage and it goes straight past full, on both gages. :x
Elect666
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Elect666 wrote:Is there any way of testing the sender befor you drop the tank?
You could check the resistance of the sender with a digital multimeter and make sure it's within spec. Then you could add or remove fuel and see how it responds. I know it's not the easiest but it does work.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

What should the resistance be? I have checked voltage and its 9v.
The crazy thing is that it worked for a week or so and then straighht to full and if you ground the yellow lead it goes to empty, So I started to pull the tank but that was a lot more than I wanted to do..But if I have to Then I have to.
Thanks Elect666
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
MercuRanger

Post by MercuRanger »

If I'm not mistaken, it should be 5V from the regulator for the gauge cluster. That may be your problem.

Mike
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

Mike, do you mean sending unit or regulator? Where is the regulator I have read you talk about the regulator before. I have the Helms book and it shows the sending unit wires ,so those were the wires I was testing.
I'm an electrican by trade but when it comes to auto electric I dont have a clue. But I can read the blue print and I have somewhat of an understanding of how the gas gage works the power goes to the cluster and then to the gas gage and back, is the sending unit just a resistor?
That when its full it has more voltage and when its empty less voltage?
Elect666
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
plowboy34

Fuel Guage

Post by plowboy34 »

You may have a wire thats grounding out somewhere. I know thats how we use to test to see if it was the guage or the sending unit that was bad when the gauge would not work. we would pull the wire at the tank and ground it and if the gauge went to full it was the sending unit and if not it was the gauge or somewhere in between. Just a thought since the gauge is going to full.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

To complicate matters, it depends on what year the vehicle is. In 89, the sending unit action changed with respect to what full and empty meant.

According to this thread I found on the old forum, the 89-up sending units are 16 ohms empty, 158 ohms full. The pre-89 sending units were evidentally 70 ohms empty and 10 ohms full...

http://www.v8-ranger.com/messages/992.html

I can't speak about the 88 and under, however on my 89 Ranger, the fuel level sending unit was nothing more than a potentiometer. It had what looked like bare wire wound around a circuit board. The fuel level float was mounted to a bar that rotated a bar inside the sending unit. Inside the sending unit, a metal brush moved back and forth across the wound wires to vary the voltage on the sensor line.

Hope that helps...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MercuRanger

Post by MercuRanger »

The regulator's on the back of the gauge cluster, and is a little metal box. It takes the 12-14V from the battery/alternator and regulates it down to a voltage (I believe 5v) to power the gauges.

It has to be either a short between the gauge and sender, as plowboy mentioned, or too much voltage. If the voltage is supposed to be 5V but it's actually 9V, then 1/2 tank would look like (almost) full on the gauge.

And, yeah, the sender is a potentiometer (variable resistor).

Is the gauge going to "Full" or pegging out way past full?

Mike
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

It was pegging out way past full..I think I may have found the problem.. I was told to check the grond on the tank and I belive thats where it was. It seems to be working (for now) I cant get it to do it again..Its waiting for me to get down a long dirt road (lol)
Thanks for all the help. You guys really do know the answers.(while its working)
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO