I have a motor mounts question.

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Soul
SM: No

Re: I have a motor mounts question.

Post by Soul »

I think this is the plate everyone uses, you use the v6 mount and put this plate on top. Link to the full article here : http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_li ... sions.html
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't know if that plate works on mounts newer than 97.

In 98, Rangers underwent a fairly significant redesign under the hood to support rack-n-pinion steering and torsion bar suspension. I'm not sure if Ford also changed the motor mounts. And as discussed, often "flat" plates require that the stock mounts be relocated lower on the crossmember to keep the engine from being too high in the engine bay. Being the 98 torsion-bar crossmembers don't have a U-shaped crossmember to remount them lower, so I'm not sure that these are an option on 98+ torsion-bar Rangers. Notice in his pics, the crossmember for 98+ torsion bar crossmembers don't look the same as 97-older Ranger engine crossmembers.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I think a lot use the convert mounts also, might be cheaper. Chris is right on the later Rangers, they are different.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Soul

Post by Soul »

Silly question, why can't you just go to autozone and get a set of explorer mounts for that year? Or are the crossmembers different?
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
stateranger

Post by stateranger »

cgrey8 wrote:I don't know if that plate works on mounts newer than 97.

In 98, Rangers underwent a fairly significant redesign under the hood to support rack-n-pinion steering and torsion bar suspension. I'm not sure if Ford also changed the motor mounts. And as discussed, often "flat" plates require that the stock mounts be relocated lower on the crossmember to keep the engine from being too high in the engine bay. Being the 98 torsion-bar crossmembers don't have a U-shaped crossmember to remount them lower, so I'm not sure that these are an option on 98+ torsion-bar Rangers. Notice in his pics, the crossmember for 98+ torsion bar crossmembers don't look the same as 97-older Ranger engine crossmembers.
98+ also had coil spring suspension which totally different from the 97 and torsion bar suspension.
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

If you have the torsion front suspension, the stock Explorer mounts are the ones to use. Coil suspension is different again. I have prints of what the ones are needed for the coil front, have to dig them up and post later.
Dave
Tried to upload them but failed. Best to just PM me your e-mail and I'll send them and a letter from the engineer who got them from Ford.
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If you want, email them to me and I'll try to get them posted to my webspace and link to them so they can be viewed.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Chris, I used to have your address but lost in computer crash. Now it asks me to establish an account with Microsoft.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed