How difficult is replacing the ignition key lock

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

How difficult is replacing the ignition key lock

Post by cgrey8 »

My key ignition lock is getting to where it won't "let the key go" sometimes. I have to jiggle with it and push in on the lock a few times before it will finally release the key out of the lock. So it needs to be replaced. It's been in service since 89 and for most of that time has been used multiple times a day.

I found a locksmith on eBay that sells the replacements including 2 new keys. But how difficult are they to replace? Has anybody actually needed to do this to know?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Re: How difficult is replacing the ignition key lock

Post by plowboy34 »

I assume you already found the answer to this...if not let me know and I'll explain it. It is really easy to do
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: How difficult is replacing the ignition key lock

Post by cgrey8 »

I got my answer from youtube searches. The key has been replaced for a while now.

Thanks for following up though.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org