Repairing an old tire plug

Discussion of all other Fords, Mustangs, F150s etc.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cee21

Repairing an old tire plug

Post by cee21 »

Ok first off, I have insufficent funds. Wife is starting back to school this semster, and these tires have about 10-15k life left (also according to the warrenty). So replacing one tire not an option for me. When I had the tires and rotated and balanced last fall, the guy said there was a nail in one, and plugged it for free, just like my R & B. Now, almost a year later, it is leaking. Can I or should I A) try to yank it out and re-plug it B)try to plug it next to the old one C) have it patched (which costs money guaranteed, how much idk)?
Chris
SM: No

Re: Repairing an old tire plug

Post by Chris »

cee21 wrote: Can I or should I A) try to yank it out and re-plug it B)try to plug it next to the old one C) have it patched (which costs money guaranteed, how much idk)?
Attempting to replug a tire is never a good idea. You may end up in a situation where either or both plugs will blow into the tire causing an almost immediate flat. Your best option is to have it repaired correctly. If they're a good shop, they'll have a patch-plug. This is a patch with a plug tit coming from the center. In this situation, this is your best and safest option. It may cost a little but when it comes to your tires, safety must come first. Sorry to give you bad news but after working in tire stores for 5 years, I've seen what not to do.
1990 Ranger 302- E303 cam, Comp Gold RR, GT40 Intake, MSD 6AL, Hooker SuperComp long tubes; 4R70W- shift kit, other internal mods; 8.8" 3.73 Posi-Trac, 31 spline axles.

Early production 1965 Coupe- June 16, 1964, Guardsman Blue, D code 289 4V, T-10 4 Speed-- All original.

1965 Coupe, A code 289, T10 4 Speed, Originally Rangoon Red...Will be again someday-- currently undergoing restoration.
cee21

Post by cee21 »

thanks chris
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

I do have to admit, I do a quick plug fix on tires I plan to replace soon. Earlier this year, I got a nail right through the side of the tire. There was no way I was getting it fixed at any shop. So my only choice was to either replace the tire before I was ready or plug it with an Auto Parts plug kit. I don't trust the tire to high speeds or for aggressive driving. But it's working until I can get the tires replaced in a few months. There's not much tread on some of them, so replacing them is just around the corner. In the meantime, there's a plug sticking out of the side. The tire is on the rear so if it does blow, it's not a steering tire.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Yeah, this one is on the rear tire as well.