grounds

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

grounds

Post by 94stranger »

I was reading some post and I was wondering if motor won't fire up now could it be because I don't have proper grounds?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

Eletricity need to flow through a complete path. Bad ground is not a complete path so there will be no flow. There will be potential (voltage) but not flow (amps). You need potential and flow (volts x amps) for something to happen (work=watts=volts x amps).

Ground is a generic way of completing the curcit using the body/frame of the vehicle as a real big wire going back to the battery.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Even if it starts you're bound to have all sorts of problems with missing grounds as not all circuits will be able to flow the current they need to. Fix all your grounds then continue.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

what should I have grounded ie. motor, cpu roughly how many grounds should I have?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

To put it simply, you can never have too many ground wires. Iron and steel are crappy conductors as compared to copper wire.

I ran ground wires all over my engine bay and cab. I even grounded my exhaust pipes to the ground lug next to the EEC so the HEGO voltage return, which used ground, can get back to the EEC easier than going through the headers, heads, block, up the block-grounding wire, to the BAT Negative terminal, to the body, to the EEC.

Adding that exhaust pipe ground wire actually helped me find another ground that had broken off. I found that the exhaust ground wire was heating up when my blower motor was ON. After finding and fixing the broken ground up by the battery-to-body, no more hot ground wire.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I ran a decent sized ground, 4 gauge as I recall, from the battery to the frame. From the frame to the body. From the frame to the motor (using a starter motor mounting bolt as the location).

Then make sure all the grounds in your harnesses are attached and grounded too.

Thanks
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8