James Duff Headers- anyone using them?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

purpony
SM: No

James Duff Headers- anyone using them?

Post by purpony »

Did a search and didnt come up with much on others using James Duff Headers. I was wondering the fit and quality.

I was also looking at their engine mounts and oil pan. The oil pan is a stock mustang double sump and the motor mounts say they place the engine higher to clear the pan. I was thinking if I used the factory 2.9 engine mounts with a plate adapter and to raise the engine a little, the factory mustang pan, and the James Duff headers, it may be a somewhat inexpensive route to go. Would also use a 2" body lift.

this would be in a 92 4x4. Thoughts? I dont want to cut corners because i plan on keeping this truck for a long time, but trying to save some coin here and there.

thanks
-1992 Ranger XLT- awaiting a 302
-1989 Mustang Coupe- Twin Turbo, 6-Speed, Griggs/MM,
- Feature car Car Craft June 2004
- Feature car Mustang Enthusiast Feb 2006
- Cover car Modified Mustangs May 2008

-2004 F150 Larait Supercrew - 6" Lift, 35" Tires, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Xcal Programmer.
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

I don't know about the headers or the oil pan but if I were to start over, I would use the L&L mounts. I really think the engine height is high with the Duff parts. Their mounts are standard mustang mounts according to some of the other threads and their mount plates are 3/8 or 1/2 inch steel that bolts to the cross frame. The headers had a disclaimer at Duff's site about their fit on either the 2wd or the 4wd I don't remember which. I am one of the newbies here so you might wait for some of the others to weigh in.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
purpony

Post by purpony »

thanks for the reply-

im pretty new as well. I was planning on using the stock 2.9 engine mounts and just making an adaptor plate. Im just worried that if i go those route i will run into header fitment trouble, but since the James Duff headers are designed for the higher Duff engine mounts i was thinking maybe their headers may work pretty good.....
-1992 Ranger XLT- awaiting a 302
-1989 Mustang Coupe- Twin Turbo, 6-Speed, Griggs/MM,
- Feature car Car Craft June 2004
- Feature car Mustang Enthusiast Feb 2006
- Cover car Modified Mustangs May 2008

-2004 F150 Larait Supercrew - 6" Lift, 35" Tires, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Airaid Intake, Xcal Programmer.
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

i used the mounts and pan from james duff. the mounts worked just fine witn my set up. i used the adapter from them too. if u use other mounts that are lower the pan will hit the supension at he back side of the cross member. you still have to grind alittle of it off to clear the drain plug. if you have gt40p heads dont bother getting the duff headers they will not work with 2 of the plugs. i called duff about the headers and they told me people have trided to use them with the p heades and it just doesnt work. i have a 3" body lift on my 93 and everything cleares withe the duff mounts. they come with instructions for placeing the mounts. if i used any lower mounts there was no way i would of cleared the x member without moving the motor back and having to make drivelines. everything fit without changing the location of my trans mount. here are some pic of my swap.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii24 ... e68c6d.pbr
93 4X4 Long Box w/ 98 exployer 5.0, aod eld performer 650 carb
72 ford 3/4 4X4 HiBoy big block
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I was reading something the other day about the plates avaible from advance adapters, they say they use a stock 302 type motor mount which will bolt right to the plates which bolt to the crossmember. This may be a cheap way to go just buy the plates for about $100 and the stock mounts will bolt to them. I don't knowif the mounts availble are the same as the mustang mounts but the do look quite the same!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider