No spark

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cee21

No spark

Post by cee21 »

Well first of all I found out why it would not even crank. I got a starter for a 92 stang and in the years around this time there was a lead wire that went from the relay to the solenoid. Well nead less to say I did not do this not knowing what it was, which in turn it would not recieve the signal to trip the solenoid and turn the starter. My fix was I got one for an 89 which only need the ignition wire.
Since I got that fixed I tried it out. It was cranking, and I could smell fuel but nothin. I pulled a plug and no spark (at least so far I have 2 out of 3). I checked the cap and the contact points were rather rusted to I sanded some of the rust off each one and nothing. Also the gaps on the new plugs are within the toloerences. And I checked to make sure that all the wires were snapped in. So what are some posibillities. And if something isn't right, what does the ecm shutdown, the fuel injectors or the spark?
jbaer619
SM: No

Post by jbaer619 »

take the wire off the plug, put a screw in place of the plug, hold the screw about a quarter inch from a ground source, have someone crank the motor, then see if theres spark, also the plug wont spark if its out of the engine and not grounded
94 5.0l ranger, 6 in. lift in front 0 in back, pro-comp shocks w/ res. camburg springs, f-150 bent i-beams and radius arms, flared fiberglass fenders all around, 33 in. bfg muds with 4.56 posy rear end
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Pull coil wire at distributor and see if it has spark first. If it does but not getting to plug it's easy fix. If no spark at coil then you know you need to dig deeper.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
jbaer619

Post by jbaer619 »

hey cee, a little off topic but do you think you could call me soon about those headers? I really want the full lengths now that I bought that other pair and saw how cool they look. But anyways this is all im waiting for to complete the swap, so I would appreciate a call soon....... and I can do $300 shipped
94 5.0l ranger, 6 in. lift in front 0 in back, pro-comp shocks w/ res. camburg springs, f-150 bent i-beams and radius arms, flared fiberglass fenders all around, 33 in. bfg muds with 4.56 posy rear end
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Alright man, i will give you a call tomorrow evening about 8 or 9 eastern time.
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Ok yesterday I checked for spark again (this time to a ground) and nothing. Couldn't find my cousin's 12v test light to see if anything is getting to the coil. And I have it wired according to the 89 schematics (that is the harness I have) and I know the ecm is getting power. The way it is wired is that it gets power from the wire that feeds the coil which trips the ecm relay and the fuel pump relay will not trip till the ecm is tripped. Can a coil go bad just sitting there? And what can you all speculate can be the cause if the coil isn't getting power? I have not checked to see if the injectors are getting the signal, so how would I go about that, test light, etc? Like I asked earlier, what does the ecm shutdown, the fuel injectors or the spark?
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

umm this may help you or not but when I first wired my truck up I had power and everything from the wire I used as my source, and I hadf no spark. a buddy came over and I got him to turn it over and I discovered the source had no power during crank, so I'd turn key on everything would work then click no power.
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Have you find what is happening?
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Well I found the problem yesterday, bad coil. Tested the wires going to it and they are getting 14 volts but nothing to the distributor. I guess I fried it when I tried to crank it off and on again trying to find out why it wouldn't start the first time.