Ranger got stolen :(((((((((((((((((

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Warpig Racing
SM: No

Ranger got stolen :(((((((((((((((((

Post by Warpig Racing »

So i got home last night from my brothers shop and about 10 and went to bed about 12. I woke up and walked outside to go to work and i thought something was unusual. Then it hit me. My ranger and F150 were stolen. I dont really car about the old F150 but the ranger gone is the worst feeling in the world. So unless it is recovered in the next day or so, it will prolly be gone forever. And the racing dreams will prolly be gone with it.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

OMG, that would devistate me if my Ranger got stolen. That's sad to hear. Hopefully the authorities will find it before it gets turned over in a ditch somewhere.

That is one of the beauties of having an EFI tuner. With it, I can write a nonfunctional tune to one of the tune locations. With the tune selector hidden away, a thief won't see it to know that a bad tune is why it isn't starting. Although I have to admit, I don't set that every time I park the truck. Perhaps I should start...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

That's got to be a really sick feeling after all the work you have done. Must have used a tow truck or just a chain to haul them both away? Hope they find at least the Ranger.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

sorry to hear man hope they find them both for you and still together
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

I got them both back tonight. Cops found the F150 about a mile away.. They stole maybe $100 worth of tools. They also stole the ashtray that may have had a set of keys to my new Camry. The ignition was not jacked so I don’t think it was driven but there was no gas in it. I think they siphoned the gas out and left the truck.

So the cops called me and I went to pick it up and it had no gas. So i was driving through the neighborhood and my brother spots the ranger on a side street. So sure enough there it was... in tack, only thing they got was my helmet (about $200). Upon inspection, they found the main battery cutoff but not my other 2 kill switches. It’s bizarre. They had to tow the truck out of the drive but dropped it off a few blocks away. Doesn’t make any sense. The steering column was in tack on the ranger as well.

Cops show up and take a report and i towed it home. So all and all, maybe a $300 loss and a huge headache. I’m just glad to have my baby back. I might be investing in a lojack or something like that.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
99 Ram
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm just curious as to what the hell was going through their mind. If it wasn't for the tools and helmet missing, I'd think this was just some kind of prank.

And being that they were towed, how do you protect yourself against that?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

cgrey8 wrote:I'm just curious as to what the hell was going through their mind. If it wasn't for the tools and helmet missing, I'd think this was just some kind of prank.

And being that they were towed, how do you protect yourself against that?
Yeah.. all very starnge. they siphoned all the gas out of the F150. I doubt there was more than 10 gal. I dont think they started it cause the ignition was not busted. Sad thing is the tools that i know are missing are not high dollar items. $20 2 ton floor jack that was so low on oil, it wouldnt even lift the F 150, portable air tank ($30), other small misc stuff, and my ash tray ( I think this had keys to the camry and house).

As far as protecting yourself from being towed, I guess an alarm system. Not really much else you can do. If a theif wants it bad enough they will get it if they know what they are doing.
Will
99 Ram
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Might be a good time to re-evaluate your insurance.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Might be a good time to re-evaluate your insurance.
That's discouraging too. If I converted from liability to full coverage as a performance/modified vehicle, I'd have everything I have in the truck repaid for in a matter of about 5 years. Since I don't have THAT much in the truck, I can't justify the cost of full coverage. The sad part is if someone were to hit me and it be their fault, their insurance would surely just total my vehicle and write me a nice $500 check. I'd have to challenge and rechallenge that it is a performance vehicle with lots of receipts and such to get just the parts-cost out of it. That's the crappy side of driving a modified vehicle. BUT it's still better than a car payment and insurance associated with that.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

cgrey8 wrote:The sad part is if someone were to hit me and it be their fault, their insurance would surely just total my vehicle and write me a nice $500 check. I'd have to challenge and rechallenge that it is a performance vehicle with lots of receipts and such to get just the parts-cost out of it. That's the crappy side of driving a modified vehicle. BUT it's still better than a car payment and insurance associated with that.
Similar thing happend to me w/ my old F150. Old man hit me and his insurance wanted to write me a check ($1200). I said no. I showed the adjustor a fat stack or receipts and told him what I thought fair market value was $4500. When they got back to me, the gave me $4500. I asked how they came up with the figure and the said, its what I said it was worth. I guess I should have gone hirer, but if there was someone willing to pay me $4500 for the truck (not the best shape F150), i would have sold it to them and not thought twice about it. I then bought it back from insurance for $100 and fixed the front end and never fixed the sheet metal. Now its just a old junker that i dont car too much about.

As for full covereage, I dont drive it on the street. Just trailer to the track. Its very hard to justify $80 a month for full covereage when it sees zero miles on the street. For that matter its hard to justify the liability only since it never goes on the street.
Will
99 Ram
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It sounds like you came out of that deal smelling like roses.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
dm89-5.0

Post by dm89-5.0 »

hey man. great to hear u got everything back. on your f150, if it is carbed, all they need is a wire to go from the positive post on the battery to the (pos) on the coil, and that has ur spark, and they need a screw driver or something to jump the started cylinoid. Haha just so u know how they could have done it
"I always drive properly. A bit fast, perhaps, but always with skill and a natural feel for the road that even cops recognize. No cop was ever born, who isn’t a sucker for a finely-executed high-speed controlled drift all the way around one of those cloverleaf freeway interchanges."
-Hunter S. Thompson
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

dm89-5.0 wrote:hey man. great to hear u got everything back. on your f150, if it is carbed, all they need is a wire to go from the positive post on the battery to the (pos) on the coil, and that has ur spark, and they need a screw driver or something to jump the started cylinoid. Haha just so u know how they could have done it
I know.. I have a one wire aftermarket HEI style distributor in it. But they never unplugged the wire to the distributor. I seriously doubt if they stole it, drove it out of gas and then hooked up the existing wiring before leaving it be. just doesnt make sense but neither does stealing a 31 year old truck and leaving the aftermarket stero and taking a air tank and 2 ton floor jack just to siphon out 5-10 gal of gas. Good thing these theifs were stupid. Granted i must give them some credit as they boosted 2 trucks from my driveway in same night while i was home without me or any neighbor knowing. Maybe it was a repo man in training that did it to brush up on his skills and kept a few things for trophies. Who knows??? but atleast i got the ranger back w/ motor, tranny and rearend complete.
Will
99 Ram