Charging question

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cee21

Charging question

Post by cee21 »

Well first off I wired the LG/R from the regulator to my amp meter, which is origianally spliced into the wire that powers all lighting. This was causing a power drain even over night. Then, seeing that wire is for a indicator light, I cut it and it stopped the power drain. I also found out the alternator was bad. Well today I put the new alternator in and jumped it off to test drive it and have the alternator charge it a little. Well on the way back I down shifted going down hill and it went to jerking. I tried to turn up this road but no power and finally it died. Had a friend come jump me and made it the rest of the way. Could a really weak battery do this even if the alternator is charging? Once again my B2 is an 84 and motor is a 92. I know I have it wired right now, but how often can new alternators be bad?
carcraft302
SM: No

Charging

Post by carcraft302 »

Yes, according to a book I got (see my post about alternators) having a low battery can indeed cause charging and alternator problems. The battery serves (if I remember correctly) as a balance to the alternator, having a low battery can cause the alternator to produce to much current.
carcraft302
SM: No

alternators

Post by carcraft302 »

Here is the book title, best 25 bucks I've spent in a long time."How To Diagnose and Repair Automotive Electrical Systems" by Tracy Martin