Drive shaft

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Ryans5.8ranger
SM: No

Drive shaft

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

...When goin to a 8.8 from a 7.5 will i only have to change the flange thing on the rear end u-joint? or do i got to cut the shaft again?...my shaft runs the large u-joins with a conversion joint to the 7.5 joint...im hopeing to only have to change the flange and u-joint and be off to the races.....Thanks
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

if you already have the larger u joint then just get the rear with the factory flange and your (1310????) series ujoint should just slide? right into that yoke, i had the larger shaft in my truck and im still runnin that, its only thing that was left over from the 4cyl
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Back when I looked at my 8.8 and 7.5 together, it seemed the location of the flange was in about the same place for both relative to the centerline of the rear axles. The 8.8 may have been a tad further from the centerline which would put it a tad closer to the tranny when installed, but if you sized the length of the shaft to put the slip yoke in the tranny about 1/2 way, it shouldn't make much difference. The slip yoke may go into the tranny another 1/8", if that, once installed. But I wouldn't expect the difference between the two rears to require you shorten it unless you were about to bottom it out with the 7.5.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
jbaer619

Post by jbaer619 »

well then it sounds like your shaft was made for the 8.8 rather than the 7.5 if you used the conversion u-joints. so all u should need to do is get the u-joint and flange for the 8.8 then for fitment just make sure the center of the yolk matches up with the end of the tranny and you should be good
94 5.0l ranger, 6 in. lift in front 0 in back, pro-comp shocks w/ res. camburg springs, f-150 bent i-beams and radius arms, flared fiberglass fenders all around, 33 in. bfg muds with 4.56 posy rear end
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

Well the main reason for me haveing the large joints already is because C6s use a very large slip in back of the tranny...then to get a shaft to cut down that was long enuff...i took the rear piece of a two peice shaft from a late 80s crew cab long box 4x4 ford truck. Then had a couple inches cut off that....so ya if i change out that cross over joint and flange it should work as a bolt in i hope...
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
jbaer619

Post by jbaer619 »

wow!! all I did was take a measurment down to the junkyard and I got one off a 99 ranger(i think) for almost free and it fit perfectly
94 5.0l ranger, 6 in. lift in front 0 in back, pro-comp shocks w/ res. camburg springs, f-150 bent i-beams and radius arms, flared fiberglass fenders all around, 33 in. bfg muds with 4.56 posy rear end
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

yup you lucked out...