Traction getting it to hook

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

Re: Traction getting it to hook

Post by v8ranger »

I can get 70 mph out of 3rd gear. Running down the highway at 60 to 70 mph I can drop it into 4th and get good pull, 40 or 50 mph I will drop it to 3rd and get great pull. Dont have to do that very often. Once and a while I will end up behind a Sunday driver in the middle of the week, but not for long lol.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My 3rd is much weaker because I'm running 3.27s in the rear and a higher ratio T5. That's equivalent to a stock T5 with 3.08 gears. So my 1st red-lines around 50 MPH, 2nd around 65 MPH, 3rd around 90 MPH, and 4th around 110 MPH. The benefit is fuel economy at the expense of performance and off-idle torque and thus off-the-line takeoff. But I knew that going into the swap when I replaced my rear's stock 3.73s for 3.27s. So far, it's been a great setup for a daily driver so I'm complaining...but I can want for more hence the desire to up to a 331. With a 331 stroker kit, head and intake porting, and a mild cam, I should be able to solve all the "torque" issues associated with the high-end gears while still maintaining a good fuel economy. That's the hope anyway, but I realize it isn't going to be a race truck. I don't want a race truck. I just want a unique and kick @$$ daily driver that I can brag has 300+HP and gets 20+ MPG on my daily stop-n-go commute. I'll see what actually results from that if I ever get the project started.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

Cgrey, Keep your cam relatively simple and with your gearing you should be able to pull off great mileage. In my other mustang, It had a 308 long rod with H/C/I/E (heads, cam, intake, exhaust) but a mild "E" cam with 1.7 rockers, and a vortech s-trim. I'd say around 430 or so whp, but she would do 24-26 on the highway, and it has 3:73's. My white mustang though, with close to a .600 lift cam with a retarded amount of duration, ( seriously, the lobes look like half circles ) H/C/I/E with a over-revved vortech wouldn't even come close to that, although my foot DOES stay in it. I think it would get around 18 if I was nursing it.
For the traction issue, better tires if it's an all season truck, D/R's if it's a seasonal truck, just don't get caught in the rain! If you want something that's going to stick, don't go buy a 60-70k warrantied tire. They have a hard compound, and are not going to do anything for you in the traction department. Put some snow tires on it... lol, they're like a breed between a slick and a passenger tire. just won't last very long.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It is a daily driven vehicle. So longevity in the tire is important. But as long as I'm getting 30-35kmiles from a set, I'm OK. But I do need something that'll run safely in the rain. BTW, the actual stock tire for an 89 Ranger is technically 215/70R14, but even Ford widened them to 225/70R14 shortly after 89 somewhere...probably around 93? I haven't run that thin of a tire since the originals.

What I have now are Walmart Liberators. Somewhere a few years ago, they were a different tread pattern than they are today. Back then, they were supposedly made by Michelin, but sidewall-stamped Liberator for Walmart TLE so I guess they could've been made by anybody. The tread pattern reminded me a lot of the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain tread that came stock on the Jeeps. They weren't the best for traction or for longevity, but they were cheap...a set of 4 for $260 mounted and balanced.

At some point, Walmart changed to Uniroyal for the Liberator. They even say Uniroyal Liberator on the sidewall now. These have a much less "All Terrain" look and actually have better traction than the old Liberators did. So far, the newer ones are lasting longer than the older ones. In all honesty, I can't say any other tire I've ever run on this truck has been any better than these. But then again, the old Liberator and Uniroyal Liberator are the only tires I've ever run since the V8 conversion. The current set of treads were almost brand new when I did the V8 conversion 3 years ago. So I've gotten my money's worth from them and wouldn't complain about getting them again particularly if they are still under $300 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced.

Although I'm not opposed to considering a different tire if it buys me something. I would like to think the more expensive tires would grip better, but as you say, more expensive tires usually mean longer lasting, not better grip. Back when I 1st got the truck right out of high-school, I replaced the stock Firestones with some 235/60R14s and ran various brands that made that size for years. They were a slightly smaller diameter tire, but I liked that at the time since it lowered the truck a tad. When I got towards the end of college and had to start counting pennies, I went back to the stock 225/70R14s just because they were about $100 cheaper. Ever since, I just kept getting the more economical choice since performance was not high on the priority list. But now with the V8, I'm wondering if I should reconsider the slightly wider tire AND get that slightly lower stance back?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:I would like to think the more expensive tires would grip better, but as you say, more expensive tires usually mean longer lasting, not better grip.
That goes both ways. Very sticky low mileage tires are expensive as well as high mileage not so sticky tires. Just depends what you want.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

In obvious performance sizes, yeah that is true. But you generally know when you are getting a performance tire over a high mileage tire. High mileage tires usually have very thin sidewalls to give a cushier ride where performance tires have thicker sidewalls to hold corners better ontop of having softer rubber.

But I doubt there are many super sticky tires in the 225/70R14 size range since virtually the only vehicles that EVER used that size tire stock were Rangers, BroncoIIs, and Explorers...and of course their relabelled variants like the Mercury Mountaineer, Mazda Navajo, and Mazda B-series trucks But I'll check around and see what I can find.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Depending on cost it might be better to get a different size rim that fits the kinda of tires you have in mind. Just a thought.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As I said, if financial situations weren't what they are, I'd be getting larger rims and tires...something preferably in the 255/60R16 range. But until my old house sells (coming up on 3 years now), I'm pinching pennies. I was just too stubborn to budge on the price back when it would've sold. Today, there's no chance I'll get what I want or even what I paid for it 8 years ago. So it looks like I'll be hanging onto it for at least another year...or whenever the real estate and lending market issues die down. I don't agree with any of this bailout crap the gov't is doing, but hopefully it'll enable someone to get a loan and buy my property. But I'm not holding my breath on anything positive coming from trillions of needless gov't spending.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

The only tires I can find in a 235/60/14 are BF Goodrich T/A's I have 225's now and as soon as I need to replace them, which will probably be by the end of this summer, I will go with the 235's. Sams club can get them for about $90 each plus mounting and ballancing. It will be about $400 for all 4 tire installed they said. The mounting and ballancing is cheep and they will ballance them for free every time I want them rotated.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
2lo-rngr

Post by 2lo-rngr »

You guys need to up the wheel size. LOL. It's been years since i've had the stock wheels on my truck. I do remember putting on 205/60-14 BFG tourings after I'd lowered it. My crossmember still has scars from them also. lol. You can pick up American Racing wheels that look similar to the factory ford bullet hole wheels relatively cheap in a 15" size that would open you up to a whole plethora of tire sizes. I'll stick with my 17's, unless I come across a set of 18" Y2K Cobra R's for a good price.
Meh, on the high mileage tires, there are some cheap ones out there. When I still worked for Firestone, I got my friend some CHEAP 80k mileage tires. heh... lemans. I pronounce them "lemons."
I've always been a name brand guy I guess. All my tires on all my vehicles are by a known manufacturer. I'm just picky that way. lol.
100% ADRENALINE JUNKIE
90 2-lo ranger x-cab xlt.. 347 swap coming soon... and paint... and airbags... etc.
92 F150 I-6 8" lift with 35's
90 Mustang LX: in the chop shop... soon to be a new color with new motivation: Dart 363 with forced induction... 750ish+ rwhp. gotta keep with the times...
87 Mustang... DSS super pro bullet 306, Crower rods, Max quench pistons,Comp cam, stage III ported Holley/Brodix heads, TKO600, Vortech'd, pullied, etc.... 572rwhp... though it's day's are numbered....
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

my tires on my '93 ranger (my new one) are i think 235/45/17 in front and 275/45/17 in back, the tires are falcon azenis. these are like super stickies. i wanna go with 315's but i need 10.5 inch rear rims. my rims are eagle alloys ranger rims.
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
splash_o'_yelow

Re:

Post by splash_o'_yelow »

cgrey8 wrote:There's no substitute for wider tires and a posi or locker. But don't forget about the spring wind-up which causes wheel hop.

If your budget can handle it, a 4-link is THE way to keep control of the axle and prevent the wheel hop, but that's just not always a practical option.

When a 4-link is not in the budget, traction bars can go along way to keeping the wind-up in check. I use James Duff bars and I have to say they do a decent job of preventing the bad wheel hop I used to have. Others have used Lakewood bars with similar results.
4 links are very hard to dial in and if your off a little itll spit you sideways quicker than you can blink and get you in trouble. imo ladder bars are the way to go. they are much simpler to get right and wont get you in trouble as quick . if you got a splash you should have sway bars from the factory and those go a long way to help with wheel hop too. just my .02 cents worth. got the 4 link and ladder bar advice from one of my teachers that used to work for a drag racing crew.
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I think maybe a ladder bar is the way to go. I want something simple and keeps it from twisting the springs
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
Ryans5.8ranger

Post by Ryans5.8ranger »

as for larger rims i will never go smaller rim size than a 17....i run 235 ,45zr17s and love them, Their is no other way to get that rideing on rails feeling. ....14 -15ish rimed trucks are way to much sidewall flex,add in nose dive on harder turning =a poor /scarry feedback to the steering wheel.......you can find cheap used 17s mustang sets on kijji or ebay or where ever,you wont be sorry.
87 Ranger short box.17 inch gts...302..FMS E cam ,600 edelbrock,mazda 5 speed.....RIP tony B.....
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I dont like the " low profile " tires. As far as there being to much side wall flex, its a truck, its not going to be a race car. I drive mine on the street, not on a track of any kind. So I like to keep the ride as comfortable as prosible. I wouldnt mind going to a 15 so I could put so wider tires on the back, but my income is limited and I have to go with what I can afford. The rims I have on my truck now are 14x7 chrome blade. To me they look nice on there. And it handles just fine, better than an average Ranger. The tires and suspention dont beat me to death. My back is bad enough, hell if it rattled me to much, its might knock a screw loose in my back lol.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end