I've gone Turbo!!!

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

302project
SM: No

Re: I've gone Turbo!!!

Post by 302project »

2lo-rngr wrote:Be careful with your max displacement. A lot of people are shying away from running the 3.4 stroke in the boss blocks being the cylinders are actually a little shorter, and can't support the piston properly on the downstroke. Just a word of advice. I'm sure there are still people doing it though... That was what turned me away from running the Boss block. Picked up a Dart instead to acheive 363ci.
On the other hand, your stock block cracked with a N/A 347? wow... I've pushed mine past 550rwhp with a vortech before calling it quits to save my internals... now it's the 347 for the ranger... lol
Thanks for the tip I know the boss block is a little shorter that's why I stayed at 302 and I don't plan on taking it to the max if I don't have to. On the stock block I have read that even at 280hp or so can still crack, it's just like you said all depends on the tuning and balancing but they are typically weak blocks.
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
302project

Post by 302project »

here's some pics of the intercooler which is treadstone performance tr12 1000hp capable (30x12x4.5)

1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

well i think we have a race coming up soon :twisted:
twin turbo v8 menace
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

302project wrote:here's some pics of the intercooler which is treadstone performance tr12 1000hp capable (30x12x4.5)

Is there space between the motor and radiator for fans? That setup looks nice.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
302project

Post by 302project »

87ranger wrote:well i think we have a race coming up soon :twisted:
Bring it on!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Actually when I saw that truck on streetfire my jaw dropped to the floor :shock:
mad props to fastranger347

MalcolmV8 wrote:
302project wrote:here's some pics of the intercooler which is treadstone performance tr12 1000hp capable (30x12x4.5)

Is there space between the motor and radiator for fans? That setup looks nice.
Thanks!!
I should be able to squeeze a 3 1/2 inch thickness 16" pusher fan but if not a 3 inch will definitely fit

I went from this........

To this.......

That e-water pump is a must for running turbocharged engines and that it gives me an extra inch and 1/4 clearance for a fan
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

302project wrote:That e-water pump is a must for running turbocharged engines and that it gives me an extra inch and 1/4 clearance for a fan
Why is it a must? additional high flow at lower engine rpm maybe?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

I am also wondering why its a must. Ive seen many turbo setup with the normal belt driven pumps.
1988 5.0 Ranger
302project

Post by 302project »

what I meant was that belt driven pumps are good for up to 600-650hp or so but you could use it for more i guess but remember that with the more power you make the more heat is created. If you have a 30gpm water pump and you have a 800hp engine you are most likely to have overheating issues and I also read somewhere( i don't remember where) that a belt driven pump at high rpms the impeller drags or something and that when you are still for so long you will again overheat due to the fact that the impeller is at the lowest rpm meaning that is not pumping enough water. With an electric pump you dont need the engine's power to run the pump, freeing a couple of horses and at idle you will have the full flowing capabilities also at high rpms without or alot less impeller drag.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I can see most of those points except the saving hp one. After all the alternator will have to power the pump right? there's no free energy here :) the energy and power to turn that pump has to come from the motor one way or another. I suppose charging the battery while idling and then running off battery only when under heavy load etc. would do it.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

yea no free energy on this planet, and its a toss up between pumps, i have both and right now im running the electric for better idle cooling and the fact that at the drag strip i can cool it in the staging lanes with out running the engine, but i will tell you that even though that pump is rated at 50gpm, there is no way it flow that, and i had to drill 2 .150" holes in the high flow thermostat to get it to operated right, since electric pumps dont have the pressure that mechanical one do, for street and drag, short duration high hp usage the electric is the best, for extended high hp, mud bogs, road racing, etc a stewart mechanical is the way to go, and they are 1.5 inches shorter for radiator clearance.
twin turbo v8 menace
2003EDGE

Post by 2003EDGE »

I was looking at running an electric water pump on my daily driver. I just want to eliminate as much of the belt driven accessories as possible to clean up the front of the engine.
302project

Post by 302project »

i took a trip to ohio so that brian from bg custom can finish the hot and cold side.

These pictures don't do justice to the awesome work that they did.
I'll probably start it up within two weeks, I have to reroute my fuel lines and finish some minor stuff.
Steeda04SVT

Post by Steeda04SVT »

Man that is gonna be sick and def a sleeper
USAF AC-130H Crew Chief
2004 Cobra - Daily Driver
19XX Ranger - In search of as a Daily Driver
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

all I can say is wow it looks fricking awsome! which I had the coin to do that.
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

man thats looks sweet cant wait for vids of it running