cobra brakes

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: cobra brakes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Oh yeah it's nothing like the Ranger's horrible design of rotor, hub, and wheel bearing all being one. It's just a loose rotor which makes brake jobs a snap.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

Ok, that's sounding a lot more attractive. So the rotors and calipers are standard Cobra equipment with the only thing that's custom about this setup being the rotorless hub and the mounting brackets?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
2003EDGE

Post by 2003EDGE »

Yep, you use the standard mustang stuff. When you get ready to get brakes you can just go to the local shop and tell them what brakes you need.
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

cgrey8 wrote:Ok, that's sounding a lot more attractive. So the rotors and calipers are standard Cobra equipment with the only thing that's custom about this setup being the rotorless hub and the mounting brackets?
Thats correct.
1988 5.0 Ranger
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Do the Ranger brake lines bolt to the Cobra Calipers just the same? I'd think they do. Every other Ford caliper I've ever seen looks the same. But I thought I'd ask.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
2003EDGE

Post by 2003EDGE »

I used the factory lines without any problems
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

hear 13" cobra fronts an 11.65 cobra rear brakes Image Image
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

i want those brakes!!! lol
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hey guys that link for the brackets -- http://www.nekustoms.com/colecraft.html -- doesn't appear to be working anymore. Is there anywhere else that I can get the brackets and hubs needed?
Thanks,
Chris
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

I believe you can email Dave at www.nekustoms.com . He was doing the sales. The guy who makes the brackets and machines the hubs is Trevor, "Tee Rev" on RPS. As far as I know, he's not planning to make anymore, said it wasn't profitable. I just bought his last set.
I would try reaching him on RPS, in case he finds another set, or decides to do some more.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
Chris

Post by Chris »

Teddyzee wrote:I believe you can email Dave at http://www.nekustoms.com . He was doing the sales. The guy who makes the brackets and machines the hubs is Trevor, "Tee Rev" on RPS. As far as I know, he's not planning to make anymore, said it wasn't profitable. I just bought his last set.
I would try reaching him on RPS, in case he finds another set, or decides to do some more.

Thanks for the response, I emailed them and they said that they no longer make the brackets. I was wondering if there is anybody else that makes them or maybe somebody could take a pic of their setup so I can see what needs to be manufactured. I'd really like to upgrade my brakes especially since I am building the V8 and will be getting larger wheels and tires.

Thanks,
Chris
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

The hub is machined out of a stock Ranger rotor. (as the Ranger rotor has the bearings and studs as well)

I don't know if you coud get a Mustang hub (would not need to be from a cobra) and have it modified or find bearings that would fit.
Others in the past have machined the Ranger spindle to fit the Mustang hub. Not should if this involved replacing the actual spindle on the knuckle or not.
'65-'70 Mustang guys have some kits to adapt the modern Mustang hub onto their spindles, either drum spindles or disc spindles, so theses parts could possible be looked at or modified as well.

The bracket used for the Ranger swap is simply a triangle. Two bolts that bolt to the Ranger knuckle ('95-'97), where the stock caliper bolted. The bracket has a third hole further away that hold the Cobra caliper further from the spindle, and one of the original holes is shared by the sindle/new bracket/Cobra caliper.

'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Chris

Post by Chris »

Dude, thank you so much. That helps big time. Now I understand what needs to be done.
Chris
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

A place like this may be able to give you some ideas as well

http://www.vintagevenom.com/
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
widetireranger

Post by widetireranger »

I'd really like to do this swap but......I have a few questions.
First off; from what I can tell, no one is making the parts to do it now. The guy over at RPS isn't making them anymore. And, if your making a custom hub, why can't you use the hub off of a 95 Mustang? I've got a bud who has a complete 95 mustang he's parting out and I could get everything I need for cheap! Anyone have any thoughts? Winter has found use in Texas now and brakes would be a my winter upgrade. if someone has a bracket they could loan out for a week, I have a really good machine shop I use that could copy it and make more!
Shane

'85 Ranger
302, 4 bbl
T5 with S-10 tailhousing
8.8 w/Arburn locker 3:73