engine mounts

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

engine mounts

Post by bigburl »

Hey everybody, I'm finally working on my project again and was wondering if someone could direct me to a thread that has the plate dimensions for the mounts that work with the v-6 motor mounts. I'm putting a 5.0 into a 90 Ranger extend cab. Thanks for responding. Have a blessed day.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: engine mounts

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Larry,

Every application is going to be slightly unique. I imagine your best bet is lower the motor and mock it up and make the plates to your application.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

While you can make up the plates right with the rubber engine mounts in their stock positions, you could benefit by relocating the V6 rubber mounts down lower on the cross-member which will drop the V8 lower in the engine bay. This will also draw the rubber mounts in closer to the engine so the engine isn't so far away from where the mount is and put less stress on the plate that holds the engine in place...not that the plate will be stressed to any concerning amount. 99% of the effort is just to get the engine lower in the engine bay. Having the engine lower will make it much easier to get on the top two tranny bolts as well as improve the handling by getting the weight of the engine lower. It also improves the clearances to stuff in the engine bay. It doesn't eliminate the AC box mod, but it does reduce the amount you have to chunk it out.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Get the steel that your going to make the plates out of, all made up. Make them up so they fit the engine block. Then like Malcom said, lower the block in and moc it up. You can use a marker to mark where the studs on the mounts hit your plates, then dill them out. Make sure you are positive thats where you want the motor to sit before you make your marks and drill them out. I left my mounts where they where. I had to do a little trimming on the frame for the passanger side header, and I took out my a/c. I wasnt building my truck as a daily driver, just a hot rod to drive on the street. If its that hot out for a/c, im taking the car, lol.
FYI, I dont know about anyone else, but, I had to make the plate on the drivers side, allot thicker. About 2x's thicker, so the engine would site leval, from side to side. I think the drivers side is a 1/2 inch thicker than the passanger side. But, like I said, I left my mounts in there stock location, and thats why I had to make the plate thicker on one side.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

Thanks guys. Should have in by the weekend.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good