Ranger frames

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

army
SM: No

Ranger frames

Post by army »

I have a 93 Splash that I'm dropping a 5.0 into this spring/summer. I'd like to have a rolling frame blasted, painted and ready to use when I start taking the truck apart. Does anyone know what years of Ranger frames are compatible with a 93 reg cab? Here's a link to the truck I'm using on my personal web site.

http://www.gofastgarage.com/50ranger.htm
pkjorlie

Re: Ranger frames

Post by pkjorlie »

My best Guess would be '93 to '96....But....Is the frame the same for a regular cab and a splash? Regular cab may have extra supports for the wider box. Have you gotten under a '93 reg cab to look?

Paul
'88 Bronco II 4x4, 302, C4, Edelbrock 600, Mild Cam
'93 Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 5sp 210k
army

Post by army »

No I haven't crawled under another Ranger to look yet. I'm in Ontario and it's a little cold here yet for truck diving. I ran across one site that said 89 to 97 frames are the same. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else yet. I was eager to get started on my 5.0 Splash project but my brother just bought a 96 Ranger stepside with a 347 in it. He doesn't keep vehicles very long so now I have to decide whether to wait him out or do mine. Another factor is I like my single cab better. His is an extra cab. Or extended cab. Or whatever it's called.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I find it odd that you say that about extended cab Rangers. After have owned an extended cab Ranger, I don't think I could own a std cab. The leg room and the convenience of putting stuff in the back is tough to give up. And there's ample room for speaker boxes and amps back there. Std cab truck boxes force you to let the seat way up and that's just not an option for me at all.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

I'm with Chris in loving the extra space in the ext cab. I'm up here in the Nord and it's my DD in the Winter. Lot of my survival gear gets thrown in the back.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
army

Post by army »

I had a 91 ext cab Ranger and the additional space was great. I definitely like the 96 ext cab Ranger that my brother has. My preference is a short cab for a swap project if I'm starting from scratch though, which is why I bought the Splash. I have a complete donor 1990 Mustang but I need to buy a swap kit yet. I have the Harwood manuals for the 90 and 93 Rangers. In hindsight I should have bought the manual that covers them all.
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

Frame would be the same for '89-97. The single cab got longer in 1998, as wel as the suspension changes.

You may be able to use an '83 to '88 frame, but there are differences, it would not be identical. And you're not likely to find a solid one in Ontario, I guess...
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
ranger50toy

Post by ranger50toy »

I am 6'3" and have found that the roof dips down right behind the seat on the extended cab, right where my head should be.
84 Shortbox std cab w/ 5.0L / C4 / Holley 600 vacuum sec - Wrecked
88 Extended cab w/ 2.3L EFI Turbo / 5 Spd - Sold
94 Shortbox std cab w/ 3.0L / 5 spd - Sold
85 shortbox std cab w/ 2.0L / 5 spd - Big Plans
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I'm also 6'3" and my ex cab is perfect my winter beater is a reg cab and it is to cramped. if your head touches the roof just tilt the seat a lil bit. as for a frme I'm gonna be stripping my 94 ex cab this weekend for parts for my 93 ex cab let me know if you want the frame, frame is in pretty good shape if you wanna see it let me know I'm located in brampton ont.
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
army

Post by army »

Thanks but I need a reg cab frame.

I started on my 5.0 Splash project last weekend so unless I find a frame soon I'll just use what I have. Step 1 is dismantling the parts car, a 90 LX coupe. Not sure if I'm keeping the EFI so I'm being careful with everything and taking lots of pics. Last weekend I went and looked at an identical 93 Splash that was already done. Sort of. It was more of an example of what not to do. I don't like dissing somebody else's ride but what a mess. The firewall looked like a train hit it. He said he bashed it in so he could get the old dual snorkel air cleaner on.