I've gone Turbo!!!

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: I've gone Turbo!!!

Post by cgrey8 »

Stock setups are notorious for allowing the oil to get all in the intake, coat the runners, and all that for sure. Newer engines have gotten better at separating the oil before letting it return, but these older engines are still quite suceptable to oil getting into the intake. Even my 97 Explorer has that problem. The last time I replaced my plugs, it was quite obvious I had oil getting into the intake from the PCV system since there was a buildup only on one side of the plugs...the side that faces the intake valve. So yes, I FULLY agree, having an oil separator canister is a nice addition to significantly reduce the amount of oil that gets into the intake from the PCV system. Whenever I redo my setup, I plan to add a similar canister setup. I have no clue exactly how much oil is getting sucked in, but I'm hoping the canister will be big enough that I only have to empty it when I change the oil (every 6-9 months). Since I run synthetic oil and I don't drive with a lead foot, I don't hesitate to go 10kmiles on an oil change. And since I don't plan to run this engine more than another 20-30kmiles before replacing it with a 331, I'm not terribly concerned about longevity. I should probably just run cheap Walmart oil in it. To be honest, it probably wouldn't make any difference.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

302project. I don't know what the internals of that moroso can look like (one way valves or anything?) but to me it looks like you've essentially just added a breather to the valve covers, or rather a remote breather. I don't believe you will ever see anything in that can, not even a drop as you stated.

Adding a breather to any EFI engine usually creates a mess with unmetered air been sucked into the intake but in your case you have no PCV system at all right? so no air is ever been sucked through your crank case? As Chris stated above you really want this to vent blow by gasses that form acidic substances in the oil/block unless vented and pulled out.

You should use a PCV system of sorts and have the vacuum source after your mass air meter but before your turbo so it never sees boost. As for oil in the intake well that's why you use a catch can like you have. I believe you just have it plumbed incorrectly (not that I'm an expert :) ) I ran a mini version of that can on my blue truck. It was actually a water air separator intended for compressed air lines when spray painting that I modded and installed. Vacuum from the intake was routed to a valve cover and then from the other valve cover I had a PCV valve and it ran through my mini catch can to an intake vacuum source. It caught a fair amount of oil and kept the intake clean. I think more importantly it vented the block.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
302project

Post by 302project »

cgrey8 wrote:Stock setups are notorious for allowing the oil to get all in the intake, coat the runners, and all that for sure. Newer engines have gotten better at separating the oil before letting it return, but these older engines are still quite suceptable to oil getting into the intake. Even my 97 Explorer has that problem. The last time I replaced my plugs, it was quite obvious I had oil getting into the intake from the PCV system since there was a buildup only on one side of the plugs...the side that faces the intake valve. So yes, I FULLY agree, having an oil separator canister is a nice addition to significantly reduce the amount of oil that gets into the intake from the PCV system. Whenever I redo my setup, I plan to add a similar canister setup. I have no clue exactly how much oil is getting sucked in, but I'm hoping the canister will be big enough that I only have to empty it when I change the oil (every 6-9 months). Since I run synthetic oil and I don't drive with a lead foot, I don't hesitate to go 10kmiles on an oil change. And since I don't plan to run this engine more than another 20-30kmiles before replacing it with a 331, I'm not terribly concerned about longevity. I should probably just run cheap Walmart oil in it. To be honest, it probably wouldn't make any difference.

You could probably get away with a slightly smaller catch can than mine but I recommend you this setup, I have a friend with a 80 something Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback with a 4g63 turbo pushing almost 400fwhp (feels like 700hp lol no weight lol he has the same problem as me.. traction) stupid fast. Anyway he has a similar setup as mine except he don't have a second valve cover lol but he check it once a month and he said that it barely have oil in the catch can, and the can can is very close to the valve cover meaning that the oil has a short distance to travel meaning that it can be full fast but surprisingly enough he says that it's empty. I'll see if I can get a pic of his setup so you can see how close it is to the valve cover. So again I recommend you this setup, it's a lot cleaner and looks awesome!!
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
302project

Post by 302project »

MalcolmV8 wrote:302project. I don't know what the internals of that moroso can look like (one way valves or anything?) but to me it looks like you've essentially just added a breather to the valve covers, or rather a remote breather. I don't believe you will ever see anything in that can, not even a drop as you stated.

Adding a breather to any EFI engine usually creates a mess with unmetered air been sucked into the intake but in your case you have no PCV system at all right? so no air is ever been sucked through your crank case? As Chris stated above you really want this to vent blow by gasses that form acidic substances in the oil/block unless vented and pulled out.

You should use a PCV system of sorts and have the vacuum source after your mass air meter but before your turbo so it never sees boost. As for oil in the intake well that's why you use a catch can like you have. I believe you just have it plumbed incorrectly (not that I'm an expert :) ) I ran a mini version of that can on my blue truck. It was actually a water air separator intended for compressed air lines when spray painting that I modded and installed. Vacuum from the intake was routed to a valve cover and then from the other valve cover I had a PCV valve and it ran through my mini catch can to an intake vacuum source. It caught a fair amount of oil and kept the intake clean. I think more importantly it vented the block.
From what I saw when I got the can is that is baffled inside. I see a lot of race engine including street driven engine with just a breather with no problems at all but I understand where you and Chris are coming from, I really would like to
put a vacuum pump but believe me I don't have room for one. Maybe later on I'll squeeze an electric one but thats later.
Here are some examples

BTW I'm no expert either I could definitely be 100% wrong lol

1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

ok guy's i've been following this post and i still have problem's with my blown little truck's crankcase pressure. i did reverse the blower pullies on the blower drive. that made it 10% overdriven. my little engine came alive at idle. it was like strugling before at idle. thought i was good to go. it's like geting shot out of a cannon when i touch the throttle. but last time out with it, state trooper pulled me over and said there were no bug's left alive for two mile's behind me. i did'nt see any smoke, but must be. i have the evack system on it so what's next. read about restricter's in the line? catch can's? i am at a loss as what to do now ! help.... the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
302project

Post by 302project »

Well, it was about time I buy the rims lol. It took me this long because I ordered some 15s by 10 but i found out that the brakes were too big for these rims and that also i could squeeze one more inch wide, so i went for the 17s by 11. In a couple of weeks I'll have the drag radials. Hopefully that will help with my traction issues lol. And yes I still have to buy the front rims.

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Thats allot of wheel, you trying to catch up to Rojam? lol.... they look sweet!! Make sure you post some pics of the truck when you get them on.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Man what size tire you running on 17x11? 325s? Honestly that's what you need to make a light little truck hook. Should be a blast.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

302project

Post by 302project »

v8ranger wrote:Thats allot of wheel, you trying to catch up to Rojam? lol.... they look sweet!! Make sure you post some pics of the truck when you get them on.
Thanks!!

And I sure will!
MalcolmV8 wrote:Man what size tire you running on 17x11? 325s? Honestly that's what you need to make a light little truck hook. Should be a blast.
I'm looking at Nitto's NT555R 315/35R/17
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

302project wrote: I'm looking at Nitto's NT555R 315/35R/17
The NT555R is old school rubber now days. Look into Nitto's newer line of tires. I run the NT05 tires. They are just as sticky if not sticker than the 555R and have a decent sidewall so you can corner hard and they don't sway at high speeds either. They actually stick so well I put them on all four corners of my car. They also last much longer than the 555R which is awesome. I absolutely love them.

BTW I run 315 NT05 tires on a 10.5" rim and it's just right. Hopefully they stretch enough for a 11" rim. I'm not sure. Probably so because it's only 1/2" more.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

302project

Post by 302project »

^^ Thanks for your suggestion because it looks like that is what im going to be running NT05 FTW :D
302project

Post by 302project »

I've got the tires :mrgreen:

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Awesome. I see you still have the colored bands around them. After you get a few miles on them and get what ever coating tires seem to ship with burnt you'll be amazed at how those things hook when they heat up. On regular 315 street tires I could punch it in 3rd at 75mph and just rip the back end loose and fish tail all over the place. With the NT05s heated I can pull off in 1st, clutch all the way out, and mash the gas to the floor and it just launches like a bullet train.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

302project

Post by 302project »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Awesome. I see you still have the colored bands around them. After you get a few miles on them and get what ever coating tires seem to ship with burnt you'll be amazed at how those things hook when they heat up. On regular 315 street tires I could punch it in 3rd at 75mph and just rip the back end loose and fish tail all over the place. With the NT05s heated I can pull off in 1st, clutch all the way out, and mash the gas to the floor and it just launches like a bullet train.
I haven't put any miles on them yet because my turbo header cracked again, but its getting fixed and I can't wait to drive it again, man I miss my truck lol
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Hopefully soon. I miss my toys too when they're down.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing