Rear Disc

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

rngrmat
SM: No

Rear Disc

Post by rngrmat »

Has anyone attempted to put rear discs on their 8.8? I do not want to get into putting camaro calipers on my Ford like some conversions. Is it as simple as going to the wrecking yard and pulling apart a Lincoln axle? How would you hook up the parking brake cables? Any info would help.
94 Ranger reg cab short bed. 95 Mustang donor T5
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I got an Explorer 8.8 to get rear disks on my red truck but I do not recommend this method as it was not a direct bolt in and a pain. If you're looking for a complete kit http://www.wilwood.com/ makes one. If you go the junk yard route and piece together a rear disk kit and have problems with brake cables you could try Lokar. Either way let us know how it works out.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
JW

Post by JW »

I'm in the middle of the conversion using the 79-85 Cadillac rear calipers (it breaks my Ford parts only rule, but at least there are no identifying marks on them :lol: ). This method uses Mustang SVO rear rotors (same as early 80's Mark VII's and Continentals), and custom brackets I got from a guy on ebay. I'm having custom braided stainless hoses made to go direct between the calipers and the junction block on the axle. The parking brake cables don't look like they'll be too hard to adapt. I'll have a writeup and pictures at RPS once I'm done.
GregR

Post by GregR »

If I ever try a disc brake conversion on my Ranger, I'm going to give this one a try: http://home.pacbell.net/black306/tech/reardisc.html It's done on a fox body Mustang and should work on a Ranger. The guy used Mark VII rear disc brake parts only. On the Mustang the E-brake lever hits the axle (looks to be the lower control arm mount) and can't be used, but the Ranger is different in that area and shouldn't be a problem.

Can anyone see why this conversion wouldn't work?

Greg
'98 Ranger 2WD, 4.6 dohc, 4R70W, 8.8/4.10/TL

http://281ranger.homestead.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052265

'05 Mustang, V6, AT, Legend Lime, daily driver
rngrmat

Post by rngrmat »

I think I know what i'm going to do for my set up but have not yet confirmed it. Currie Enterprises can weld 9" housing ends on the 8.8 which would give you a ton of options as far as disc brakes. Also the 9" axles are retained by pressed on bearings which is a nice feature. Will update when I find out more info.
JW

Post by JW »

Almost done with mine, just need brake hoses and parking brake adjustments...

When I'm done I'm going to write it all up and give it to Jim @ RPS to post in the tech section.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

i did an explorer rear swap for two reasons. first they come with discs, second they come with larger axle tubes and bearings larger than the mustangs,and there 31 splines. youll have to narrow it or get wheels with different offsets. the only brake system mod needed is a propotioning valve on the rear line and i'm still using manual brakes for more space and a cleaner engine bay.
twin turbo v8 menace
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

also all the raplacement calipers, pads,hoses, rotors, can all be picked up at your local parts store fairly cheaply better than paying an arm and an leg for special pads for a special calipers and special rotors. if youve ever needed any of these items in a pinch you understand what i'm talking about.
twin turbo v8 menace
rngrmat

Post by rngrmat »

I ended up buying a kit from Summit and made by SSBC(Stainless Steel Brake Company) Summit states that it will only fit the Ranger 7.5 axle. After investigating it a little, the 7.5 and 8.8 have the same axles and housing ends. SSBC said that in that case, they should fit. I bought it and it fits and works great. Direct bolt on including the parking brake. The only issue as stated earlier, it that you cant go to your local auto parts for calipers, rotors or pads. To me the gamble was worth more than finding a different offset wheel.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

I'm glad that worked for you, the point I was really going at is that in the northeast you can get an explorer rear with disc,posi,31'splineslarger bearings, larger axle tubes for 300 dollars.
twin turbo v8 menace
JW

Post by JW »

87ranger wrote:also all the raplacement calipers, pads,hoses, rotors, can all be picked up at your local parts store fairly cheaply better than paying an arm and an leg for special pads for a special calipers and special rotors. if youve ever needed any of these items in a pinch you understand what i'm talking about.
I was looking at both a Baer kit and the SSBC kit, but went the way I did for this very reason - it relies on all factory parts, nothing aftermarket (except for my from-the-block-to-the-calipers braided stainless lines). I can get replacement pads, rotors and calipers from any auto parts store out there. My front upgrades will be done the same way.