4r70w trans

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

gorgo
SM: No

4r70w trans

Post by gorgo »

IS THERE ANYOTHER OPTIONS FOR A SPEEDO BESIDES THE BOX MALCOM USED?
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

install an aftermarket electronic speedo, autometer has a few
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

BTW - that box sucks. Don't pay the high prices they ask for them. In fact I'll sell you one for a good price :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If I remember correctly, you said it worked pretty good at higher speeds, but jumped bad at lower speeds due to what seemed like the motor being too weak to turn the cable despite the fact that the motor was kinda bulky.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
fordnut66

4r70w trans

Post by fordnut66 »

I got that trans in mine and i'm useing the stock speedo. cable with only a ford speed sensor mine is a 94 ranger xcab 94 must 5.0 with extras.
hope this helps
BB
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote:If I remember correctly, you said it worked pretty good at higher speeds, but jumped bad at lower speeds due to what seemed like the motor being too weak to turn the cable despite the fact that the motor was kinda bulky.
It also has lag though. So if you accelerate hard at 55 to say 70 you're actually doing 75+ and you'll notice that in a second or so as the speedo catchs up to what you're really doing.

I went through a lot of trouble to get that box working. You may remember how I seperated out the electronics and put the motor in a water proof box under the cab to try and get as straight a shot up and behind the speedo cluster. I still would have problems.

Not to mention the manufacture is not trust worthy. I ordered an additional cable from them when installing as I needed a few inches longer. They charged me a high price for the extra cable but said they would credit it on return of the original cable which I shipped back immediately. Suddenly they don't take my calls and months go by and I never get my money back.

Either get an electronic speedo or tear apart the 4r70w and install a speedo drive gear, or if you're running a 4x4 get a transfer case with a speedo drive gear.

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

gorgo

4r70w

Post by gorgo »

the tranie i have is out of a 98 exployer and there is no provision for a speedo cable. the speedo is run off the abs and rear axle.
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

is the hole in the extension housing and plugged off or was it never machined?
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
06 Fusion SEL
1mean02hd

Post by 1mean02hd »

Here's an option- get a different trans. Sorry to be ignorant about it but IMO the 4r70W trans is junk. I don't know whether your truck is 4wd or not but an AOD or a 4R100 would be alot better...
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The 4r70w is based on the AOD and AODE physical design, the difference is it's a computer controlled tranny. And historically, the AODs are not that strong from the factory either, but can be built to be as strong as you need. From the factory, 4r70w trannys typically last longer than the AODs because the computer controls retard timing right at shift so the engine's torque on the tranny is dramatically reduced then returned once the shift is complete. I believe the 4r70w can be built to be as strong as a built AOD since the internal construction is so similar.

The one thing I do remember reading is you don't build a tranny to be stronger than your engine. Overbuilding a tranny without an engine that can supply the power it was built for can be equally as bad on a tranny as underbuilding it.

Here's that article that went into a lot of great detail on building the AOD/AODE/4r70w:
Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101
Differences Within The 4R70W & AODE Family

And the thread I got it from:
Transmission cooler hose routing (with or without radiator)?
Last edited by cgrey8 on Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Re: 4r70w

Post by MalcolmV8 »

gorgo wrote:the tranie i have is out of a 98 exployer and there is no provision for a speedo cable. the speedo is run off the abs and rear axle.
If you want my who box setup I'll gladly sell it to you. Maybe others are not as picky as me. One mans junk is another mans gold. I tell you what. I have over $500 in that stupid box, cables, and all the custom work I did. $100 and it's all yours.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The 2WD '98 Explorer 4R70W had a plug in the tail housing that was removed and the stock cable was inserted. Ran it down the road and then changed the 19 tooth driven gear out for a 22 tooth. All is happy, cruise works, etc.
this is a 90 Ranger 2WD that it went into.

If you are running 4WD and the transfer case doesn't have a speedo output, then swap transfer cases to an earlier one that does.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The Explorer transfer cases are AWD, not the standard 4x4 cases that are selectable between 2H, 4H, & 4L.

The AWD is generally a nicer addition for better street performance without the typical 4wd bind. Standard 4x4 transfer cases shouldn't be run on the street in 4wd mode due to the additional drive-line load they create around turns...especially sharp turns. In many cases, the bind is so bad small truck engines can't overcome the bind when it is on pavement...so the engine is reved, but the truck doesn't move until the front wheels are straightened out.

When the truck is on dirt, the bind still exists but the tires are easier to scuff on the ground so the bind isn't as noticeable and thus isn't as hard on the drive-line.

If the Explorer's AWD transfer cases don't have a speedo cable provision (and I'm pretty sure they don't), I can understand the desire to somehow make the AWD transfer case work. But after Malcolm's unfortunate experience with the speed box, I would agree that the better option is to replace the factory speedometer with an aftermarket electronic one, then fab up a dash to mount it in so it looks decent. Since I've never done detailed fab work to dashes, I have no clue how difficult of a job that'd be. But it sounds pretty nightmarish.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

there are some t-cases for an explorer that are switchable.
06 Fusion SEL
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

i dont know about that crap of not building a transmission to be stronger than the out put of the engine. if you did JUST ONE decent performance modification ( heads, cam, STROKER SHORT BLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, intakes blowers) your entire transmission build would be worthlessthats like buying the cheapest set of pistons and upgrading them every time you add something to the top end of the engine, instead of spending the money and doing it right the first time, do what your budget allows and NO LESS!
twin turbo v8 menace