A few questions.

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Ontariov8
SM: No

A few questions.

Post by Ontariov8 »

:roll: Hey their 1st off i would like to say hi.. I live in london ontario canada and have a 86 longbox ranger with a 1991 crownvic 302 and i've converted it to a carb setup with a edelbrock performer 289 intake a holley 600 cfm 4 barrel and i'm using a stock aod and torque converter. I've got the conversion headers (headman). Underdrive pulleys. Griffin aluminum rad 16" electric fan. My goals is to build a new motor for this truck to make 400 rear wheel hp and also i wanna make this truck relibel on and off the street. I'm considering going to a 5spd tranny as well. i'm also looking at ideas on how to get better traction as well this truck is gonna be driven only on nice sunny days and see the drag strip as well. My goals is to run a 12 flat out of the truck at least i would like a 11.5 and be street leagal. I'm gonna be putting a 4 point roll cage in it as well. The truck is lowered 2-2 right now.
Ranger Dave

Post by Ranger Dave »

post some pics
83 short bed 4X4 V8/C5 Ranger
90 BII D44/9in,2.9/C5
88 BII stock(208,000mi)
92 2wd Navajo(is now 4X4) 4.0(GOTTA GO)
90 BII 2.9/5spd winter bomb
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

well i've got no motor pics uploaded yet but do have some poor quality ones but hear is my sleeper pics I have loaded up. http://www.lamc.ca/v8ranger.htm :D
Jimmie

Post by Jimmie »

I guess your saying that you are gathering parts to make a 302 conversion? I had a set of Headman Headders and they were a POS, they hit the motor mounts that I got with them and I had to trim the PS frame to get them in place only to find that they dumped very close to the starter( I was afraid that this would heat up the starter) and dumped close to the pass side twin I beam plus they hit the motor mount and I had to spend a few hours with a die grinder grinding away at the motor mount to get the POS to fit, than it didn't hit the frame, go figure. I ended up using Mustang II stock exhaust manifolds. Worked great for me, I have a couple sets I'd sell you one pair if you want. If your using the headers it is worth it to get them coated first.

I'd look at a little less HP/torque first off. the AOD isn't that strong first off with out lots $$ and you will have major traction problems plus the stock rear end can't handle that much $$, oops I mean torque. If you want lots of smiles for $$ spent go mild at first and try this out, if you get a heavy foot after this you can add a cam, an intake and heads after the fact to up the HP to your level. Hell add a super charger or a turbo or two later for a crazy ride. The Ranger is really a box, your hard pressed to beat a Mustang if equal $$ are spent due to that fact alone, plus traction.

Do you need goverment/insurance inspections where you live?

Jimmie
Ontariov8

Post by Ontariov8 »

Actually i've done the v8 swap already and now i'm just making it better more power and gonna tidy up the wiring i have under hood as well as get new heaers my headmans are rusty as hell now. Oh also to let you noi have a 8.8 with 31 spline axels in it as well so i'm sure that rear end will handel the power i'm wanting to throw at it. :roll:
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

one of the keys to making a ranger hook is weight transfer...
if you want to run good e.t.'s in the 1/4 I would suggest a set of moroso
drag springs and 90/10 front shocks and a ladder or 4-link set up for
the rear with 60/40 rear shocks also run floaters if you go the ladder
bar route....