turbo carburetors

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

airmaster1

turbo carburetors

Post by airmaster1 »

hey everyone, i havent been on in awhile, added a 1 to my username...anyways i was wondering if anyone has any experience with turbocharged carbureting....im installing a turbo on my ranger and have questions on what i need to do about the carb
87ranger
SM: No

Post by 87ranger »

use solid floats, rear jet extensions, and a 1-1 boost referenced regualtor
twin turbo v8 menace
airmaster1

Post by airmaster1 »

hey thanks, ive been reading up on it alot lately...where can i find a boost referenced regulator...also, do you think a red holly fuel pump is enough?
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

I don't like Holley fuel pumps. When ever you are looking at a part and the recomended item to go with it is the rebuild kit for the very same part, Just doesn't cut it. I passed on 2 of them once. They were free. Both needed rebuild kits.

I can't recomend any fuel pumps until we know how much boost you plan to run. You need a fuel pump that can supply enough fuel at about 7PSI above your highest planned boost setting. So if you are planning 15 PSI boost, you need a fuel pump capable of suppling enough fuel at 22 PSI.

If the fuel pump can't supply fuel above the boost pressure, fuel can't travel into the carb and you just leaned out the engine at the worst possible time.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

get an msd pump thru jegs they will support approx 500 hp at 40 psi more at lower pressures, all of the areo motive regulators are boost referenced i think, the only difference between a referenced and a non referenced is that there is a nipple on the spring side (top) of the regulator that allows boost pressure to increase fuel pressure at a 1-1 ratio to allow proper operation of the bowls and jets
twin turbo v8 menace
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

How do you check your air fuel ratio? Do you put a wide band in the exhaust and make sure it's not running lean under boost?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

thats the smartest way of doing it some people just jet really fat and read plugs forever while jetting down, but they never know what the air fuel ratio really is, they're just guessing, get a wide band and a guage, its cheaper than a new set pistons and head gaskets.
twin turbo v8 menace