DC Fan controls

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

DC Fan controls

Post by bigburl »

Malcom,
Saw this on another site and thought you and the other guys who are using them or are wanting to use them might find it interesting.
Larry

BTW are any of you guys members on stangnet.com? I might want to order a controller when my truck finally runs.
Larry

DCC Access

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCC orders, solving the long delay issue

DCC will now occasionally “close downâ€
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I have no clue whether this forum is on his "list" or not, but I know both Malcolm and I own DCC controllers and neither of us have required a lot of support. We just connect the thing and it works. But from what I understand, these devices are NOT tolerant of mis-wiring. I had some bad engine noise when I 1st got my truck running, but I eventually found that it was a ground problem. After solving that, the engine whine went away and it hasn't been a problem since.

But personally, I rather appreciate his methods of price control. He's someone that truly is dedicated to his customer base. The lazy method would be to simply raise the price of the part for all.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I see market opportunity here for someone else to start making those. If he's so backed up with orders he has to shutdown to limit sales then there are clearly enough people buying them. So who's gonna start making and selling them?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

Chris, Ifound the link when I clicked the link in your signature. His site indicates that heis only servicing corral, stangnet and a third that I don't recall right now. He has an e-mail link for corral users to order on. Currently V8 Ranger is SOL. I think Malcom is right about the market I'm not an electrician, but if I had one I'm sure I could duplicate it.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The problem is the devices are potted with black resin. Thus you can't see what the circuitry is. You could dissolve the resin out, but you'd likely dissolve off things like the printed numbers on IC chips and other identifying marks on components. So all you'd have is a circuitboard with a component that you might or might not be able to identify ESPECIALLY if it's surface mounted.

I'd almost believe it'd be easier to just reinvent it. They aren't terribly complicated devices. The principle behind high-speed pulsing of voltage isn't new. It's just a matter of building components with the proper voltage protection to handle the transients of voltage you could encounter AND doing your best to make it idiot proof. The most sophisticated part of the device is the part that reads the thermistor, and translates that temp reading to a pulsed control based on jumper position. But I can't say this is something I'd be interested in investigating.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

wow, this guy is restricting possible sales based on the perceived notion that a certain demographic isnt smart enough to use his device correctly, thats discrimination based on nothing,that settles it for me, i wont purchase a product from someone that is that arrogant, he'll be outta bussiness if he keeps that up, i just use a tyco 75 amp relay that i got on ebay for 15$ and switch it with my computer, spal makes a comparable product that can be found on ebay sometimes and on the internet for the same price as his unit with out having to jump thru hoops for it.
twin turbo v8 menace
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

87ranger, I agree with what you say. I was surprised at how he's limiting sales, or rather why.

Chris, I didn't mean to pirate and rip off his product I meant someone make their own that does the same thing. The hardest part will just be calibrating a temp sensor to a voltage or pulsed voltage. Should be very easy for someone who plays with electronics everyday.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I agree, it is a fairly arrogant stance to take towards sales. But when you got more orders than you can fill, you either raise the price or you find some way to limit the sales to a reasonable amount without raising prices. This is just a matter of him catering to a select group that he likes under the notion that they don't bother him with support and dead devices.

I think a better plan would be to redesign the device to be more resilient to the common problems that he's seeing the novice installer make. As well, charge more for faster deliver, but otherwise publish realistic delivery dates based on the backlog. That, in itself, should "control" the orders. But since it's not my company, that's not what's happening. However, I do see your point. More power to him if he can maintain his sales by doing this. If not, then another competitor will come along and fill the void. But my guess is he makes these things because he enjoys it and it gives him some extra pocket money, not because he HAS to. Thus he can afford to piss people off in an effort to cater to a select clientele. I doubt it's personal against you 87ranger. :)
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

i know its nothin personal, i cant help but compare him to the guy that started flowmaster; in the late 70"s he started by making mufflers in his tool shed in the back yard for a few friends and when demand surpassed manufacturing capabilities he hired people to help him now he has one of the largest, well known, privately owned muffler companies in the world, he's a millionare right now, how far would he have gotten if he said that he would only sell to people that lived with in one mile of his home? Spal will sell to anybody
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spal-Aut ... enameZWDVW
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

As true as you are, you forget that not everybody has the right combination of drive, ambition, and smarts to build a company out of their garage. Those who do, end up like the guy that started Flowmaster, Gateway, and Microsoft. Those who don't, well...they limit their sales, piss people off, and give us something to talk about. :D
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org