Exaust

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

Exaust

Post by 94stranger »

the mustang has a H pipe stock and an X pipe is better for my power and flow, can you have more than 1 X pipe or would this screw it up?

the reason why is I'm using my stock tank and my exaust will come off the headders into X pipe then over to passenger side down to the back of the truck where the pipes come out on each side of the rear. So one side will be longer than the other, and this is where I wasd thinking the other x pipe could work to keep the pressure the same between the two sides in the rear of the exaust, or does this even really matter?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

I've been thinking about running the short pipe from the right side across to the left side at the back and letting the left pipe run straight out the right side after it comes across from the drivers side. Will this work? It would keep the two pipes a more equal length.
Larry
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Without fully understanding the physics of an H or X pipe, my guess would be to combine them into 1 BIG single pipe, and re-split them at the back to solve that problem.

But again, that's me talking with zero understanding of what the benefit is of an X or H pipe is. I've heard all the same claims from the people selling them that they are "better" and that one is better for one type driving and the other is better for a slightly different type driving. But I've never heard anything from independent testers that aren't getting paid by advertisers that convinces me. If there's some info out there, I'd love to read up on it.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I work at a place now that does nothing but mustangs and the guy I work with told me that an X pipe gains about 30hp over the stock H pipe. I may just do like Bigburl said have the driver come out the passenger side and the passenger come out the driver side should be close to the same length.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

30hp seems a little far fetched I think? I know on the 03 cobras the x-pipe does make a few more hp (less than 10, proven on the dyno) but the h-pipe has that awesome american rumble. The x-pipes sound to raspy for me so I went with h-pipe.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

I don't know how much the X or H pipe add but I am using Tri-y headers into 2.5 dia duals that go thru a single Flowmaster 40 series muffler that has dual 2.5 in inlets and dual outlets with the pipes going out each side at rear.

I assume the muffler acts like a H pipe.

This truck has the old muscle car sound.

I don't need a radio just open windows.

87 x cab 306
World Winsor heads w/roller rockers
RPM performer intake
650 Holley
Mild Lunadi Cam
T5
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

im using an x pipe for my turbo down pipes, and the whole system as a package (turbine housing, x pipe, two chamber mufflers) is just as quiet as a stock five OH, when i put an x on the engine in normally asperated trim it felt like it picked up some trq and hp judging from my highly tunned but-o-meter 1,000 accelleration sensing device
twin turbo v8 menace
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I have no doubt that X-pipes do increase power especially if dynos have proven it. But I'm still curious as to why.

Is it simply you got 1 ejection of air using 2 pipes for the last part of the run?

Or is there some weird venturi-action where one cylinder's exhaust velocity passing by the other pipe creates somewhat of a suction to aide the cylinder beginning to exhaust?

Also it seems there are different X-pipe arrangements. I see the typical X-pipe adapter that literally looks like 2 bent pipes that collided and got welded together:
ImageImage

Then there's the BBK X-pipe that looks more like a fat chamber to create the X-connection:
ImageImage

With such difference design & cost, I have to believe there's a difference in performance too. Thoughts?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I'm not certain on how much hp is gained with an x pipe maybe the 4.6 mustang a stripped had other goodies to to make the 30 hp gain I may have miss understood.

so the major difference between the two would be sound?

"H" - pipe muscle car rumble

"X" - pipe more of a wrasp

Maybe I'll just stick with the "H" pipe
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

Here is a test betweem an H pipe and an X pipe

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techar ... index.html
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

To bad they didn't test no cross over at all in that comparison to show what if any hp gains you have over nothing. To me the bbk x-pipe looks like a fat h-pipe. Overall the differences seem to be minimal to none. That's why I picked h-pipe based on sound :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Is it just me or is the H-pipe the winner here?
According to this chart, the H-pipe wins in MAX HP (243@4800 vs 242@5000) and Avg HP. The X-pipe only pulled ahead in one place...at 5400RPMs.

There must be more to the story than what I'm seeing on the website. The article says ...Read on to see which one made the most power. But I'm not seeing a link to continue the article...just related photos which is where I snagged the Dyno Chart from.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

H or X pipes add more low end torque than anything else. They do help HP also but they do very little in high RPM's.

cgrey, you got it, as the one exhaust passes by it pulls a vaccum to help the other side, that is why it works better at lower rpm, once you are at high rpm it is just shoving it out anyway.

The best way to figure where to put a H/X pipe is to install your exhaust system, then paint a stripe about 3ft long on each pipe before muffler. Run engine at about 2500rpm for a few minutes. Then see where the paint has burnt off the most on each pipe. Try to install the H/X pipe as close to each burned spot as possible. I have seen some exhaust flow so good there is no "HOT" spot, usually your bigger pipes. Back in the drag racing day's had an old man tell me this. As the cocky young punk I was I told him he was nuts. Well he proved it to me on my V8 Pinto, It did help my low end, but once she was screaming I could not tell a difference. But it definately pulled harder off the line. As I said the paint thing does not alway's work, but on the ones it did burn off the paint it really helped.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

The Torquemonsters are designed so the pipes go into the collector in a clockwise rotation. This causes a swirl effect in the exhaust to help cylinder scavenging. I guess it helps pull the exhaust through the pipes. I does explain their wierd shape. I'm guessing it would help pull the intake charge into the cylinder too. That all I can add since the POS isnt running yet, but eventually the truck will get tired of waiting for me an finish itself. I dont know if an H or X pipe is in the cards due to ground clearance and my need to run both pipe to the passenger side. One side will be longer than the other.
95 2wd shortbed styleside with a 98 mountaineer 5.0
ported GT-40P heads, E-303 cam, Trick Flow Street Heat intake, 1.7 rollers, 24lb injs,155lph in-tank pump, built AOD, 2800 converter, Torque Monster headers, dropped 3/4 on 98 Cobra wheels. Eternal work in progress.
94 Ranger XLT b. 6/10/94 d.3/28/11 300,842 miles RIP
06 Fusion SEL
11 F150 FX2 SCrew 5.0 Coyote, Custom SCT X3 tune, Roush CAI
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

thats funny s*it CJ "hopfully the truck will grt tired of waiting and finish itself" its sounds like me right now but this is really funny!!!!!! >8)