White goopy substance in oil catch can?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

White goopy substance in oil catch can?

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I have an oil catch can on the blue truck. It goes between the PCV valve on the lower intake and the vacuum source on the upper intake. Usually it just fills up with black oil and I empty it.
About two weeks ago I noticed it was murky white and filled with a sort of white sludge. I thought that was very odd and the only thing I could think of was a week earlier I had cleaned and re-oiled my k&n filter and thought maybe that did it.

What ever that stuff was it would not clean out with water. I had to use gas to clean it. Today I check the oil catch can and again it's white in color and has a white milky sludge in there too.

So I drained the engine oil and it looked normal black.

Where is this white milky sludge coming from? This is air been sucked from the engine block and filtered before going into the upper intake. I don't see where this is coming from?

Later
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

I have no clue, but my best guess is condensation is mixing with the oil film in the catch and turning the oil white?

However I've never heard of it causing such a sludge that it wouldn't clean out before. I always thought the water would evaporate/boil out of the oil once the temp got hot enough. It sounds like what you are describing is a white sludge that is getting in there and drying on.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Bazowak

RE

Post by Bazowak »

I think cgrey8 is on to something. I'd say that your catch can can't get to operating temps and warm oil spray mixed with cooler days etc. well that spells mayonaise.

Or what about the lower intake having a very minute leak on the under side. It could just be a slight mist and the PCV vac is enough to pick it up.

Try to pressure check you cooling system and see what that reveals to you. Then let us know.
2006 Chevy Uplander Mini-van (loser cruiser)
1998 Jeep Cherokee
6.5HP Troy Built push mower (A true hotrod)
1988 2WD Ranger XLT 2.9 5spd man.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

yup its condensation
twin turbo v8 menace
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

wow didn't even think of the cold weather. Yes we've had a few days down around 32 and below in the mornings. I only just installed the catch can this summer so I have not seen it in the winter.

Thanks guys
Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8