Which one, B303 or E303?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

Forgive my ignroance, but is the "E cam" the same thing as the E303?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I have an E303 in my red truck and an Explorer cam in my blue truck. The E cam pulls very hard from fairly low (around 2500 rpm) all the way to 6000 where I shift and it was still pulling great.

The explorer cam in my blue truck is much more of a street cam. Lots of torque right from idle but runs out of steam close to 5000rpm. I set my auto tranny controller to trigger WOT shift point around 4700rpm and by the time the transmission reacts it's around 4900 ~ 5000 rpm and that's about just right. Any more and it's just over reving and not pulling very hard.

For the original poster. The B is a higher reving cam that looses you lots of low end and is not as suited for the street as an E cam. Even the E cam has a less than perfect idle and can test your patience pulling off at low rpms.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Malcolm,
That's a good comparison from the same person. I know "Old Blue" is stock but how much do the different heads on "Big Red" help with the "E" cam?
Dave - You just can't call your trucks the red or blue one, add a little character to them!
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Dave,

It's a hard comparison because the trucks are very different. The red truck is a 92 2x4 with a T5. Very light truck too. No power anything.

The blue truck is an extended cab AWD (formally 4x4) with power everything and an automatic transmission, the 4r70w. It's a much heavier truck.

The red truck has more than just heads :) It has roller 1.7 ratio rockers, 24lb injectors, edelbrock intake, L&L headers instead of those weird twisted ford racing explorer headers, under drive aluminum pullies, custom tune etc. etc.

However to answer your question the difference between them is huge. The blue truck feels very light because of the torquey explorer cam and is definitely much more fun to drive than stock. Stomp on it and it takes off quick and usually surprises most people that it's just a Ranger. Definitely an excellent daily driver.

The red truck on the other hand is scary fast. Nail the gas in second and there's a good chance you will be going sideways unless you can handle it. It screams to 6000rpm in a flash and is still pulling like a freight train, shift into third and it's still pulling like hell. Combine that with the 2 chamber flowmasters screaming out back and you get one hell of an adrenaline rush. Definitely a lot of fun.

The rides are also very different. The blue truck is very cushy and comfortable. The 31" tires I'm sure add to some of that. Even the power steering on that truck seems overly easy to turn. Plus you have power windows, mirrors, door locks, a/c etc.
The red truck has a very firm race car like ride with the urethane body mounts and urethane through out the entire suspension plus the stiffer coils I used. Not to mention the stiffer low profile tires.

It's like I have two completely different trucks. Had you not known better you would not say they are both Rangers.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Just thought about another cam and tell me what you think. How about one for a cobra motor?
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I did a comarison of that one and the stock GT cam. Neither was worth swapping out the Explorer cam for. I've still got the simulations Dave ran for me on the various cams. If you want them, I can email them to you. Just drop me an email at the email I have posted on the forum. I'll respond with the sims...all in PDF format. I also have an Excel spreadsheet I moved all of them over to so I could compare them in a big Excel graph.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

All the Ford cams mentioned with the exception of the Explorer cam are meant more for performance than the low torque that you want. Have no idea of what cam is used in the trucks. There are a lot of after market ones that will work of course. Did you get that PM I sent earlier?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I mailed those cam sims to you. Did you get'em? If not, I'll try sending them 1 at a time.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Sorry Chris for the confusion, I had sent a PM to CEE21. You know I have no need to send you a PM. How's the extra house looking for a sale?
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Dave, he'd emailed me. I was letting him know I emailed those sims to him. I also included the link to where the Cobra and E303 cams were compared.

As for the house, I'm still the proud owner of 2 houses, one unwanted. Coming up on 14 months now. It's a buyer's market here in Atlanta...or I just want too much for it.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
cee21

Post by cee21 »

Got them, thanks for the info.