Curious about installing IRS

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bigburl
SM: No

Curious about installing IRS

Post by bigburl »

Have the opportunity to pick up a 327 posi IRS from a 1990 T-Bird Supercoupe. How much work is involved in something like this and will it even go under my ranger? I really appreciate that so many of you guys are willing to help. Maybe some day I'll be able to return the favor.
1990 Ranger ext. cab soon(?) to be 5.0 and T-5
2000 F-150 ext. cab 240,000 miles no guts but it looks good
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

cheep? i seen the cobra irs for 2 grand usd.i seen then in pickups before with a clear bed floor looks nice but it would be a task good luck with it i had a cougar with irs before love it better then my live 8.8
94 swb 5 speed 2wd,plans?302 nos 373 posi keep stock looking
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

Watch the width.
I know you use 2 short side ranger axles (80's narrow version) when doing a cheap 5 lug conversion to 80's mustangs.
The thunderbirds and cougars are noticably wider then the mustangs. So the IRS would be at least 2 models wider then the early rangers.

That and there is no way to narrow the IRS very well.

But anything is possible with enough work thrown at it.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

How much is cheap if you don't mind me asking? that's the same rearend the guys who build Shelby Cobra replicas use.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
GregR

Post by GregR »

The T-bird/Cougar 8.8 IRS (Supercoupe, XR7, V8s) are really pretty cheap. I can get them as complete drop out units at the local U-pull for about $100 each. The Mark VIII IRS is basicly the same except for the air ride and aluminum center section (like the Cobras).

Factory Five Racing uses the T-bird IRS in their Cobra kits. They have a "pin drive" option that includes narrower axles. Since FFR bases it's suspension on the Mustang, their IRS kit can be used to install IRS in a fox body Mustang.

Greg
'98 Ranger 2WD, 4.6 dohc, 4R70W, 8.8/4.10/TL

http://281ranger.homestead.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2052265

'05 Mustang, V6, AT, Legend Lime, daily driver
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

He's asking 125. for the complete setup. I don't know that I could fab what I need to to make it work. It isn't the actual fab work as much as being confident in the engineering. Broncobowsher, I can use two short side ranger axles in a four lug mustang housing? I hav an 89 mustang with a 410 posi already. Will the ranger backplates and brakes bolt to the mustang housing?
broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

bigburl wrote:He's asking 125. for the complete setup. I don't know that I could fab what I need to to make it work. It isn't the actual fab work as much as being confident in the engineering. Broncobowsher, I can use two short side ranger axles in a four lug mustang housing? I hav an 89 mustang with a 410 posi already. Will the ranger backplates and brakes bolt to the mustang housing?
No need to change backing plates. Use 2 drivers side axles and brake drums. Use the original brakes and backing plates. The front brakes are also Ranger units, but require the diameter (not thickness) to be turned down to fit the early mustangs. Most people now swap out the spindles for SN95 units with wider brake options. Old tricks from 20 years ago.
bigburl

Post by bigburl »

Thanks bud, that's the easiest thing about this swap that I've encountered yet. On another note, is it safe to weld motor mounts to the cross frame? seems to me that putting the mount at the level of the cross frame instead of on top of it would allow the engine to sit considerably lower in the truck. In fact it might mean spacing it up just a little for pan clearance.
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

they are cheap and ide love to it done
twin turbo v8 menace