Slave cylinder

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

94stranger
SM: No

Slave cylinder

Post by 94stranger »

has anyone had any troubles with the slave they used? Yesterday when I got some free time at work I adjusted the threaded rod and bleed my clutch. it seemed the slave didn't have enough strength to push the fork, when the clutch was pressed the fork moved maybe half an inch! Could this be a defective slave or did i buy a weaker one.

What slave is everybody else using?
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Post by cgrey8 »

I'm using the 83-84 Ranger external Slave cylinder that was used on the V6 manual trannys. The details of its installation and reuse of the stock hydraulic line are detailed in a different thread:
Parts needed to adapt the T5 into the Ranger

I replaced the included push rod with a threaded rod (carriage bolt from Lowes with the head ground off) and some nuts & washers. I set it up with the rod pushing the slave piston to the bottom of the bore. Then from there, I set the tension nut (nut between fork and slave) so that it is actually putting a 1/8" to 1/4" preload on the fork at all times. Said another way, even with my foot off the clutch pedal, the fork is being held in just less than 1/4". Without that preload, the clutch was dragging with my foot all the way in on the clutch pedal and I couldn't get it into gear easily. From what I understand, the Mustang throwout bearings are designed to have this preload on them unlike many other throwout bearings that wear out doing this. This was also detailed in this thread:
It runs, but the clutch doesn't completely disengage
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org