8.8 rear

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

88ranger306
SM: No

8.8 rear

Post by 88ranger306 »

Is there an 8.8 that will direct bolt in to the ranger?
if it has wheels or tits it will give you trouble.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yes many Rangers came from the factory with an 8.8. Get one out a Ranger and it'll bolt right in.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
88ranger306

Post by 88ranger306 »

Thanks Malcolm, do you know what years by any chance?
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

Any year will bolt up. 90-92s are narrower then 93 and newer. Depends on what year your truck is to which one you should look for.

Also Explorer rear ends will bolt up but it will be spring under axle which will lower it or just put the perches on top. The Explorer is 3 inches wider then a 83-92 axle and 1.5 inches wider then 93 and newer. With the Explorer axle you can find 3.73 and 4.10 with limited slip all day long. There also 31 spline and you have the option of getting one with disc brakes.
1988 5.0 Ranger
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Parking brake does not hook up to the Explorer rear end either, you'll need a custom setup with some lokar cables or what ever. Just FYI.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

broncobowsher

Post by broncobowsher »

The 8.8 was used behind the 4.0
So you want to search for Rangers that rolled out of the factory with a 4.0 to find the 8.8 out back.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

My 8.8" came from a 93 Ranger which is the 1st year of the wider rearend for Rangers. It bolted right into my 89 Ranger and I confirmed, it is wider than the 89 Ranger that I pulled but you can't tell it at all. I can see it only because I know about the difference but nobody else has ever commented that the rear tires looks spaced differently than the front. Based on my measurements, the 93 Ranger rear is 1.5" wider on each side than my 89 Ranger. These are the pics from my 89 Ranger with the original 7.5 still installed. Note the distance from the end to the leaf spring perch:

Here are pics of my 8.8" and again note the difference in length:

If you do the math, the pics would tend to indicate the 93-up Ranger rears are 3" wider than the older Ranger rears. But everywhere I've read on the Internet says they are only 1.5" wider and it's the Explorer rears that are 3" wider. So the different has to be in the axle lengths hub-to-hub.

The 8.8" was also popular to put in 4x4s regardless of being equipped with the 4.0L as well. One guy here on the forum said his 2.3L Ranger came stock with an 8.8". Maybe they were just running low on 7.5"s that day???

Another thing to look for is 8.8" with the anti-sway bar assuming your Ranger doesn't have a stock anti-sway bar to start with.

Next, you'll need the driveshaft yoke from the 8.8". The 7.5" yoke won't bolt to an 8.8" companion flange. The bolt spacing is too small on the 7.5" yoke.

And finally, most 8.8"s are outfitted with 10" brakes. Although I have seen some in the junkyard that only had 9s. The 10" brakes are wider and smooth. The 9" drums are noticeably thinner and have heat sink ridges around the drum. But if your Ranger currently has 9s and you get a rear with 10s, the cables won't work perfectly with your truck. Get as much of the parking brake bracketry as you can from the donor. Even though the rearend bolts right in, the parking brake cables between 9" and 10" brake systems are different and not compatible with each other. Ideally, you'll want to get the cable from the foot pedal too but the main things you need are just the bracket that join the drivers side and passenger side cable together from the donor's setup & the bracket that joins the foot cable to the rearend cables. From there, you can make the rest work using cable clamps Lowes or Home Depot if you had to which is exactly what I had to do. It isn't pretty, but it works just fine and is under the truck where most people aren't looking anyway.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
88ranger306

Post by 88ranger306 »

thanks alot guys, very helpful!
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Parking brake does not hook up to the Explorer rear end either, you'll need a custom setup with some lokar cables or what ever. Just FYI.
Im not sure on a disc brake setup but my 88 parking brake cable worked perfect and were the same for the Explorer rear end with drums.
1988 5.0 Ranger
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Foxracin wrote:
MalcolmV8 wrote:Parking brake does not hook up to the Explorer rear end either, you'll need a custom setup with some lokar cables or what ever. Just FYI.
Im not sure on a disc brake setup but my 88 parking brake cable worked perfect and were the same for the Explorer rear end with drums.
Yes I meant disk brakes.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, But why cant you just take your orignal backing plates,brakes, and cables and just put them on the 8.8?? I no having bigger brakes is always better, but I have never had any problems with my 9" brakes and my 5.0 has been in my truck for about 5 years. I dont race it I dont haul with it. So going with bigger brakes on a street truck seems like over kill. Thats just me.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

That's a valid option when dealing with a Ranger with 9" drums and putting a rear in that has 10s on it. But the difficulty of getting the 10s to work with a Ranger that's using 9s is fairly simple as long as you have the metal brackets that join the 2 sides together. But you can make it work exactly like stock by swapping the 10s for 9s.

However one benefit of going with an Explorer rear is to get the stronger 31 spline axles and disc brakes. Unless you are doing serious dragging with a 400+hp plant and some serious traction adders, the 31 spline upgrade is academic at best. But the discs are another story. Drums are not exactly the most attractive thing to see behind a set of rims, but discs on a truck that never had a rear disc option is just another touch to an already unique vehicle. So not only is there a braking performance benefit with the discs, but there's also the aesthetic aspect with making them work. And after doing the other mods required to get an Explorer rear under a Ranger, dealing with cables are a walk in the park.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Boy is this one question I've been wondering about for a long time, going with the 31 or 28 spline axles. I know a lot of off-roaders go to the Explorer for the added strength when running big tires but a lot of them are still running low out-put motors. Just wondering how many of them think to up-grade the u-joints while their at it. Back in the "Old Daze", the only cars that got the 31 spline axles were the 390/427/428 big blocks, usually running about the same weight as todays Rangers and a whole lot more torque. I also think that having rear disc brakes is over rated on a truck, surly not just for the looks or bragging rights. Anybody know of anyone breaking a 28 spline axle on a more or less DD? Just really been wondering.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Only people I've ever heard of that sheer or snap 28s are people running serious power adders with slicks at the track. I didn't think about the 4wds with very low gears, but I could imagine 4.10s or 4.56s twisting some big 30"+ mudtracks could seriously stress the 28 spline axles. And now that you mention it, I do recall a guy back in highschool that drove a jacked up 70s F150 4wd with a 400 SBF that he loved to rag out. He stripped one of his axles and had to activate 4wd to get it home. I can't remember the rearend he had but I'm betting it was a 9" Ford given the era of the F150. I've never heard of anybody breaking them in a street vehicle, on the street, with street tires.

And I agree on a truck, the discs braking performance is also academic. But the aesthetic aspect is an upgrade I can appreciate. I would much rather have shiny discs showing through some aftermarket rims than my ugly, rusty drums.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

I don't have any hard numbers but just seat of the pants I can tell you the rear disks on my red ranger made a big difference and the overall braking of the truck was greatly improved.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing