efi vs carb

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

bravoco2_162

efi vs carb

Post by bravoco2_162 »

I was wondering whether efi or a carb system would be more cost efficient and ease of installation as I am but a mere weekend mechanic

Thanks in advance
Jason
blue ovals
v8ranger
SM: No

Post by v8ranger »

unless you understand all the sensors and elictical stuff, I would stay away from the EFI. Unless you have the whole donor car go with the carb setup. EFI is alot better, but if you dont understand it. stay away from it. I went with a carb in my 86 and I love it. Very simple. But do yourself a favor. Make sure you research every part of the installation before you start. It makes the job much easyer, trust me. I did that and gatherd all my parts, so when I started mine I wasnt lost and hade all my parts to make it a snap. I have a very bad back and I got mine done in about a week.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
87sc302

Post by 87sc302 »

I have to agree with v8ranger
My 87 has been on the road about 6 years and its carburated.
It is simple and reliable.
If mine had been FI to start with I would have made mine FI.
The debugging of the swap without FI is much easier, but what ever your choice this group can help.
87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
bravoco2_162

Post by bravoco2_162 »

I have a 90 ranger how much will I have to change to get the throttle correct? I was also thinking about taking a 89 mustang v8 and trying to go carb with it what can I expect? I know I have a lot of questions and I appreciate you guys taking the time out to help out
blue ovals
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I have an injected setup and I've learned an EXTENSIVE amount from going injected. But I have to fully agree if cost and ease of installation is the intention, the carb is the way to go. However I didn't have that option. Being I live in an emissions area, I knew at some point I'd have to take emission tests. And passing emissions with a carb on a vehicle that has emission requirements based on an injected setup just isn't going to happen. So I maintained the EFI including the EGR. And in the process of doing that I found I really needed to retune the EEC for optimal performance. The tuning hardware and software isn't cheap either, but I don't regret doing it one bit. I've learned TONS more than I ever though I would back when I started this project. It's been 3 years this January since I got the truck on the road, it has been my daily driver, and it's quite reliable IMO. I've driven it to North Ga and to Florida multiple times and only once has it ever let me down...and it was a fuel pump that went bad which had little to do with the engine setup other than it was an aftermarket high flow fuel pump I installed to support the 302. Turns out, the stock pump was sufficient for my stock V8 which is a little annoying, but whatever.

So again cost and ease, you can't beat a carb setup. But if you want a truly educational setup, the EFI can give you that but be prepared to pay for that education both monetarily and with time.
Last edited by cgrey8 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

What motor do you have in your Ranger now? I know there is an after market universal throttle cable, I think summit has some. I was able to use my original throttle cable, But I had allot of problems at first with it coming apart. I cut the cable to where I needed it to be but the end I put on it kept coming off. Its ok now. But go with the after market. Here is one type http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku You will also need an oil filter relocation kit. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku but I would go with the neoprene hoses with the fitting all ready on them.There is one thing I didnt want to worrie about is an oil line coming off so I paid a little extra and got the neoprene hoses. I had to use that kit because I needed the block adapter where the hoses came out the side and not out the end. You will also have to figure out your transmission, are you going with standard or automatic?
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
87ranger

Post by 87ranger »

heck i went from carburater to fuel injection and i really wouldnt like the idea of ever going back, as chris said going to injection really opens your eyes to how an engine works and responds to changes, and your tuneability is endless with injection
twin turbo v8 menace
bravoco2_162

Post by bravoco2_162 »

I have a base model single cab swb with basic everything but I did come across a 8.8 trac loc rearend out of a 92 4.0L and I also have a T5 out of a 92 mustang that I would like to use as well
blue ovals
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Injection all the way. I wouldn't even consider a carb. Just get a complete injection system off a donor car, do a little reading and research. It's really not that hard to get working and the rewards are endless.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8