All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Explorer Vs Mustang TPS

Post by cgrey8 »

Well the progress so far...

As mentioned in the OSU thread, I've torn the front of the engine off as far as I can. The big PITA part I can't do without a special wrench is the stupid water pump threaded fan. Of all the things Ford has ever done, threading the fan onto the water pump like they do is the most annoying thing to deal with.

But here are the most interesting findings...

The Mustang TPS and the Explorer TPS for the 97 Explorer are so similar, the Mustang TPS easily mounted on the Explorer TB. The Explorer wire harness is longer. The Here are some pics:

In this pic, notice the sensors are almost identical. Nothing has changed that prevents it from being mounted. The sensor rotates in the same direction, so it's not like there's a bind issue once mounted. The TB travels just like it did before. Explorer TPS on right:

The problem with using the Explorer TPS is the connector. The Explorer connnector is on the left:

Here's the Mustang sensor mounted to the Explorer TB.

Another interesting finding is that the 97 Explorer intake was designed to potentially be used with heads that supply EGR gas up to an EGR plate. Notice the EGR channel in the center.
The lower intake has a hole too. So for future knowledge, I could easily replace the heads, and relocate the EGR up through the intakes I already have. However I doubt I'll ever need that since the Explorer headers have an EGR port. But it is nice to know what the options are.

Here's a picture of the Engine stripped less the stupid fan:

This afternoon, I've got to get a gasket set so I can replace the cast aluminum oil pan and pickup.

It feels good to see something happening other than just parts collection and spending money.
Last edited by cgrey8 on Mon May 09, 2005 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris,

Our explorer motors have quite a bit of differences. My explorer TPS is quite different than yours. Even the electrical connector is different. I'll see if I can get some pics up.

My intake is different too. Mine has no provisions for EGR like yours does.

As for the Ford fan clutch. I found a nice heavy rental (brand new un-opened) at a tool store on clearance. Was a lucky find but before I got it I used to just rent one.

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Here's what my factory explorer TPS looks like.

92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Not only are the connectors different but if you check, I think you will find that the bolt patterns are different by just a little. Just another little thing to bother you. It's like why did Ford go to a different connector on the fuel injectors for the latter years? Finially found some 23lbs that will fit the later year (2000)
Dave
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Ford just loves to change things. I'm sure there are very good reasons, at the time, why they make year-to-year changes like that...but it's frustrating to say the least.

As for the fan, I got it removed. I was lucky, it freed right up with little effort. I'm trying to enjoy all the things that have gone right because for every 1 thing that goes nicely, I'm sure there'll be 3 things that'll be challenging.

Interesting stuff so far though...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org