rear disk brake questions

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Grumpy
SM: No

rear disk brake questions

Post by Grumpy »

i was told that the 91-94 exploders came with rear disks and want to put them on my 8.8 i aquired but all i can find is 95 and up with disk brakes (from what Ford says... they wont work.... but i found a COMPLETE setup off a 98 for $50.... might get them and try anyway) .... anyone know what will fit without MAJOR mods so i can swap to disks on mine to get rid of the drums......... other than goin to an explorer rear end... to expensive here. will the 95 up disks work or not ? has anyone done this mod and if so can you point me in the right direction?...... or is there anything else that might work ??

by the way i got all of my parts in to do the swap ..... all but the headers which im having custom made CHEAPER than the L&L or Duff ones and come with a 10 year quarantee......... fenderwell exit ....... for clearance.

but ANY info on the rear disk conversion will be helpful........ please help........... lol
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
v8ranger

Re: rear disk brake questions

Post by v8ranger »

What is the 8.8 out of?
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

the 8.8 is out of a a 91 or 92 Ranger with 10" brakes... my factory one is a 7.5 with 9" brakes.... btw ..... are the axle shafts in the 8.8 the same length on both sides (driver and pass) or are they like the 7.5 left long and the right short ?

by the way i bought something else for my swap too.... i found a KILLER GT40 intake for $100 so i bought it ... and got an 90 degree elbow off a mountinere or Excursion to go on it for extra clearance to the heater box. it all looks killer together too ..... ill post a pic of the intake(along with all the other parts i got so far) as soon as i can get a pic of it ... its gonna look awesome in the truck.

also i found the slave setup that Total Performance has after months of searching for the dam phone # ...... lol...... i ordered the fittings from Total Performance and got the brass fittings that goes to the clutch master and the slave cyl ... i got 2 ends and a 28" steel braided line .... it was a lil expensive but well worth the price if i can do what i want to do with it...... the complete clutch setup.... fittings braided line and slave cyl and bracket went from the $170 range that Malcom paid to like to $279 so i just got the fittings and line(the 2 fittings and line was $89 shipped COD) so i can make my slave work and not have to worry about the plastic line getting kinked or melting or anything ...... so if anyone needs or wants the # for Total Performance . i have it now .... well its like 12:23 am here right now and wife is waiting on me to come to bed....... btw Dave i still havent gotten that fuel rail yet was wondering if you sent it out yet or not..... if you get this let me me know if you sent it and how and tracking # if possible .. ty in advance bro.... Peace for the night and ill be back tomorrow sometime to check in... thank you ALL for ALL the advice and input on this project and im goin to do something to TRY to pay you all back .... wont be much but it will be a SMALL token of a thank you for what all you guys have done for me !! without you all my little project wouldnt be as far along as it is now and prob never would have been..THANK YOU again and IF anyone ever wants to call me like Dave does then give me a ring .... 1-662-234-0600 and ask for Grumpy ..... lol
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I dont know if putting disc brakes on that rear end will be a simple project. Im sure someone out there makes the right braket so you can put rear disc on it..I dont know if they are the same lengh. I have never paid attention when I have had them out on my Moutaineer ( that has 8.8 ) I thought they where the same, but im not sure. I think I would concentrate on getting the engine swap done and road worthy before I would worry about the rear end, thats just me. I am still running my stock 7.5 posi, its been 6 years. I dont race it or anything so it holds up just fine.
$280 + another $90 for your clutch setup? WOW. I think mine whole setup was only $90.

Get us some pics of your truck and its progress.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

no................ i didnt get the WHOLE clutch setup just the 2 brass fittings and the steel braided lline so i could move it out of the way of any exhaust or anything else because the plastic factory line is preformed and and would be close to the exhaust..... this way i can move it where its away from all heat and stuff and be safe and not melt or burn thru and start leaking.... its a pretty nice setup on the fittings and braided line.... gives me PLENTY of room to run it in just about any position or route that i need to go so i dont have probs later down the road if ya know what i l mean .

i called Ford here and they told me my closest and best bet too convert to rear disk is to get then rear disk setup off a 94-95 Mustang as it has a rear CLOSE to the 8.8 but still need some minor modifications to make it fit and make it all work right.... well i can fab anything between me and by dad and my uncle.... or they make an aftermarket kit just for the Ranger ..... Aerospace makes it and its a complete bolt on kit and its not really that bad in price.... $550 COMPLETE SETUP . everything.

but as you said i think i will work on gettin it all built and running then i can worry about the rear conversion..... and i think that is the route im going to go cuz im running out of tax refund $$$$ quick now....lol ...... for funds are gettin a lil low to really worry about rear disks right now.

im HOPING to start on the conversion in April after my next check comes in... i got like 3 small parts i need to get and one high price one ..... once i get started on it it will prob be down for a couple months cuz i only get paid once a month so that puts a damper on that..... but no biggie.... i got my wifes 98 Exploder fixed now so i will have a way to to get around while the H.O.Ranger 5.0 is being worked on ..... ok ... till the next post i thank ya for the info an ill TRY to get some pix together this weekend of what it looked liked when i got it then after i lowered it and and put the drag lites on it then gets some pixof the motor and all and all the parts i got to go one it just to show it off and see what you guys think about it as i go again. TY for the input and info and will post some pix soon truck was FUGLY when i got it but after i loweredit and chabged a few things it looks like a totally diff ride and alot of ppl here like it lol ....s so till then keep postign replys and info and advice and ill get some pix together,,,,,,,,,,, Peace for now

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Grumpy wrote:the 8.8 is out of a a 91 or 92 Ranger with 10" brakes... my factory one is a 7.5 with 9" brakes.... btw ..... are the axle shafts in the 8.8 the same length on both sides (driver and pass) or are they like the 7.5 left long and the right short ?
As long as you stay with the same width axles (92 and earlier) and the '93' and later, the 7.5 and 8.8 axles interchange. There is a guy working up a kit to do the disc brake swap on Rangers, said he'd have something in a couple of weeks,

www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Think the problem with the Explorer disc swap is that they have the 31 spline shaft and larger bearings. It sure might be easier than I picture. I think a good set of the 10" brakes would work fine.
I know I'm a little bit behind in getting you those fuel rails, blame it on the weather. I'll get out there today, no stream of melt water coming thru there. Send me a PM confirming the shipping address.
Just keep plugging away on the project!
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

The Ex disc won't work on the Ranger. the Ex has 31 spline axles and larger bearings in the ends.
The key for cheap discs is get a set off an sn95 Mustang ('94 to '04), V6 or GT are the same (whether it's 7.5 or 8.8 ). The Cobra setup will also work, but has a taller bracket to fit the larger diameter disc.
You'll need the bracket, caliper bracket, caliper, disc, and brake lines.
The Mustang axles have slightly longer ends, I'll say 1.25", but I forget the exact amount.

To fit the Mustang caliper brackets, a slot must be cut in them like this:

(from eBay)

Or this (photoshop of stock Mustang part)

The bracket is bolted to the backside of the axle tabs instead of the front. (where the drum bcking plate was bolted, and where the brackets mount on the sn95 Mustang).
You will, of course, need to remove your axles to remove the stock Ranger brake backing plate.

You can mod the Mustang brake line to fit. Parking brake also works.

This mod also works on a Fox Mustang, as the axles are the same as the Ranger axles. (same length on one side, but same distnce from bearing outward)

As you can imagine, used parts to do this can be very inexpensive.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

so where is this slot you gotta cut???
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

The stock brackets bolt to the outside of the axle housing. So the hole in the center of the bracket is complete, where the axle goes through. the two pics I posted have the "slot" cut out already.

Stock ones look similar to this:
http://www.performancepartsinc.com/imag ... erbrkt.jpg

(First image that came up when I googled)
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Ok, that helps to see the before-n-after:
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
justcauz

Post by justcauz »

I have a 99 2x4 extended cab Ranger and with minimal effort I swapped the 99 Explorer 8.8 in.
I have 3:73 gears, 31 splines 4 wheel disk brakes, and the fact it is just a tad wider also gave me a little stability.
I also like the fact the whole assembly is heavier so it gives added traction.

I built new spring mounts, shock mounts, and welded them on the top and side of the axle. The rest was a direct bolt in.
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

justcauz wrote:I have a 99 2x4 extended cab Ranger and with minimal effort I swapped the 99 Explorer 8.8 in.
I have 3:73 gears, 31 splines 4 wheel disk brakes, and the fact it is just a tad wider also gave me a little stability.
I also like the fact the whole assembly is heavier so it gives added traction.

I built new spring mounts, shock mounts, and welded them on the top and side of the axle. The rest was a direct bolt in.
What about the parking brake cable setup? Did you have to do anything unfactory-like to get that to work?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cgrey8 wrote: What about the parking brake cable setup? Did you have to do anything unfactory-like to get that to work?
I'd be curious too on a 99. On my 92 the setups were different. I had to use Lokar cables and build a custom bracket on the frame where the cables met.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

this question is for DAVE seeing he knows ALOT about the 8.8 rears ...................... i know on a 7.5 you got two different length axles ....... right side is shorter than the left ..... on the 8.8 are both axle shafts the same length like the 8.8 in a Mustang or are they like the 7.5 with a long and short one?? if you or anyone else knows the answer to this PLEASE let me know as i don't have either of my rears tore down yet to see ...... would be DAM NICE if they are both the same length so i wont have to send one back to Moser to have it cut and re-splined ...... would save me like $195 or so to have it shipped and cut and re-splined ... any info will be appreciated

i got my L&L stuff and my radiator from DUFF and dam it all looks good ... almost hate to put it all in and it not be seen ..... well all but the rad ...... lol

one other thing im fixing to try too that Total Performance told me that they are doing now is the reason the slave KIT went from $170 to over $280 ....... they found a way to use the FACTORY internal slave and it works fine .. just like stock ... ill find out soon as i HOPE to have the engine and trans out by this weekend if the weather holds out that long .... IF it works then ill post pix and what is needed to be done to get it to work and work right ........ he said its SIMPLE all you got todo is make to small tabs that will bolt to thte factory holes in the slave to keep it from spinning and thats all ... IF he is not bullshittin me then that is the way ill prob go as to give a lil more clearance on the floor pan and take this slave i got for a 83 ranger (external slave) back and get my money back..... hell that will save me another $70 or so . Ill keep ya posted on this particular "trick" they have been doing for over a year and a half now and how hard it is to do and all that info ... IF it rains here again then that will put me a bit behind schedule more but it WILL get done .... it has just got to dry up some before i can start on this as i dont have a shop to put it in to do it in ...... just my gravel driveway and a grassy yard and its all out in the open air and weather

P.S. ill keep ya posted on this and IF it works then ill take pix and post them step by step and add a readme on how and what needs to be done to do this .. he SWEARS by it that it DOES work ..... flawless ..... i hope he is correct ... will soon find out ......... wish me luck on this and it might pay off for those in the future as to use the factory slave to get this done and save some money too ..

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Grumpy wrote:this question is for DAVE seeing he knows ALOT about the 8.8 rears ...................... i know on a 7.5 you got two different length axles ....... right side is shorter than the left ..... on the 8.8 are both axle shafts the same length like the 8.8 in a Mustang or are they like the 7.5 with a long and short one?? ..
Believe it or not, the axles interchange between the 7.5 and 8.8 if they are from the same year span, up to '93 the same and then from then on they are the same, one side longer than the other (unless you are talking about the 31 spline which is in a class by itself. Just re-read your post in that you were getting the 31 spline. As long as they know it's for a Ranger and the year of the axle housing, everything should be great. There is a difference in the wheel bearing from the 28 to 31 spline so that's one thing they should know. Great set-up! I'll give you a call in the morning
Grumpy wrote:one other thing im fixing to try too that Total Performance told me that they are doing now is the reason the slave KIT went from $170 to over $280 ....... they found a way to use the FACTORY internal slave and it works fine .. just like stock ... ill find out soon...
Chris used the stock master and the stock external slave out of a '83' I think with no problems a whole cheaper than $270. He has pictures and everything to show how to do it. Wait for him to reply or send him a message, sure save a bunch doing that.
I know, I still owe you the fuel rails. Still too cold and snowy this last week, really sucky weather. This week I promise.
I'm not the only one who knows about the rear ends.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting