What is everyone running for a clutch

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

v8ranger
SM: No

What is everyone running for a clutch

Post by v8ranger »

Hey all. So what is everyone running for a clutch in the trucks??? Stock, stage 1,2,3 etc... Ever sence I put my supercharger on, my stock clutch slips bad when I down shift from 5th to 4th. I was thinking of one of these two cluches, what do you think??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: What is everyone running for a clutch

Post by cgrey8 »

I have an FMS King Cobra clutch and it don't slip. But I don't have a built engine so it shouldn't slip. But from others I've talked to that did run serious engine builds, the King Cobra held up for them when other aftermarket clutches like Zoom did slip. Since my truck is daily driven, I wanted something with a stock pedal feel and a stock quality smooth shift, not a harsh engagement meant only for launches. And the King Cobra seemed to be what everybody at the time was recommending and I have to say I am not disappointed. It's what a stock clutch should be IMO. On eBay, they are listed as "Stage 2" upgrades to stock and seem to be selling for ~$160 shipped for the set which is vaguely what I remember the OEM replacement at Advance/AutoZone was selling for.

But, if I were running something higher performance and the King Cobra was slipping on me, I would probably go with a Centerforce dual-clutch. They have some of the strongest clamping performance and give it in a stock pedal feel, where other high performance clutches really work your leg from what I hear. But you pay a premium for a clutch like this. So it may not be feasible if all you need is better-than-stock.

Not to mention, I just don't trust those puck-style clutches for durability. The puck design is strictly a performance design to help dissipate heat so the entire flywheel isn't being fried when you drop the clutch. But the simple fact is there's significantly less friction material with this design. So I would think that longevity in a clutch like that is going to be sacrificed. But someone looking into a Stage 3 design, I ASSUME, is more interested in clamping performance than they are in getting 100kmiles out of the clutch.

The King Cobra's stock pedal feel was also a selling point MAINLY after finding with firewall cracks around the clutch master's lower bolt retainer. I decided a heavy clutch would worsen that. Here is a pic of my Ranger's firewall BEFORE the V8 was installed:

I ran the V8 for a good year after that pic, and when the top crack got about twice the size its at in the pic, I decided it was time to have it welded up (I don't have a welder to do it myself). I took it to my exhaust shop and had the guy that put the exhaust in welded over those cracks and around them to strengthen the entire area. It seems to be holding up much better with the added thickness of the welding beads. Point is, Ranger firewalls just weren't meant for a heavy clutch since they obviously fatigue with a stock V6 clutch. So if you put a heavy performance clutch in, keep tabs on how your firewall is holding up.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

So would this be the better way to go then?? I just want to make sure I get what I need, I dont want the same problem and have to do this twice like im going to have to with my fuel pump, TO LOUD!!!!!! figures, just my luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG- ... 240%3A1318
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It depends on your intentions for the vehicle. Is this going to be a track-only truck or a frequently driven truck? If it is to be driven in heavy traffic, how stock-like do you need the clutch to be? A clutch that likes to grab can be VERY annoying and down right dangerous to drive in the rain. So let us know what is acceptable and what isn't? The answer as to which clutch to get may weigh heavily on what your response to these questions are.

You might also ask the same question on some Mustang forums or the EECTuning.org forum. The answer as to which clutch is best isn't specific to V8 Rangers...and indicate the same info as requested above if you post somewhere else.

But yes, that link you posted is one of the King Cobra clutch auctions I saw.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I dont take it to the track, at all, and dont plan to. I just drive it around town, and maybe a road trip ouce and a while. I dont drive it in the winter or rain. I dont want the pedal to be stiff but I dont want it to slip when I get on it. Now I dont know if my clutch is just getting weak or it just wont handle the power. It doesnt slip when I take off or anything, just when I shift down from higher gears and pnch it, is when it will slip.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Wow that clutch is cheap. The spec 3 I'm getting for my Cobra costs $500 and the 26 spline input shaft that goes in the tranny to work with that clutch costs another $260, $20 shim kit, add throw out bearing, retainer etc. and it's a $900 clutch job... hence the tranny sitting on the garage floor while I save :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

I'm running a King cobra clutch! no problems here but my motor is stock. the fms cobra clutch is the same as the one I use but its like $200 cheaper you acctully pay for big bucks for the box since my clutch has the same part number as it and is about $250- $300 I think!!!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

sup all .... yeah i know its been a while since i have posted.......... as for my clutch im running a Center a force with a 26 spline disk out of a 96 camaro because the factory spline on a Ford is 10 spline........ but of course im running a Tremec TKO 600 and it dont slip at all once you start coming off the peddle it starts moving ( i had the same clutch setup on my 347 that pumped out a lil over 550 HP plus had a 500 HP shot of NOS on it in a fogger setup.......... so n100 HP and it NEVER slipped)...... i have been known to dump the clutch off the line at over 5000 RPM and NEVER had a slippage issue but it is kind of expensive ..... i paid a lil over $300 for the setup (cluch disk.. Peressure plate.. throw out bearing and a pilot bearing ..... but the clutch disk was a 10 spline Ford so i had ot leave it out and get a 26 spline from a 96 Camaro ................ well i hope this helps you out.

P.S. i for one point about the center force pressure plate .... the higher the RPM you run it the tighter it clamps down on the disk giving the ULTIMATE grab and totally ELEMINAES and stops from smoking and burning out the disk.

P.S.S. just thought i would put my two cents in on the subject here

Good luck on the clutch.... i KNOW how the burnt clutch senerio goes.
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I only have a problem with my clutch slipping when I got to pass someone. I will be going about 50mph behind some sunday driver, so I drop back a little, get a little momentum up and then drop a gear and punch it, thats when its slipping real bad. leaving a light/stop sign its fine.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

What kind of hp is your engine producing?? If it's under 400hp, I think the King Cobra would be just fine.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I think im close to that 400 mark
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

You should strap it down to a dyno and see what you get. In KC here it runs around $40 for 3 pulls.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I dont even know of any around here or I would. :mrgreen:
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
Foxracin

Post by Foxracin »

I have the King Cobra also along with a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. I like the setup a lot. It works great and doesnt slip at all. Im not making any kind of power either though.
1988 5.0 Ranger
94stranger

Post by 94stranger »

are you sure its the clutch slipping or is it the tires!!! I know I thought my clutch was slipping but tires would spin with out a sound!!
'93 ranger ext cab 5.0L HO lorider