My 93 Ranger With Wilwood Brakes

All you can handle multimedia.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

302project
SM: No

My 93 Ranger With Wilwood Brakes

Post by 302project »

When I changed the stock rims for the ones I have for now (17") back in 2001, the truck never stopped the same (NOW IMAGE WITH A V8 AND TURBO:scared:). That's when I knew I wanted big brakes for my truck. But unfortunately all of us know that Wilwood and other brake companies don't care about making big brakes for the rangers, except for revolutionbrakes.com they make kits for probably all the cars.

Anyways here are some pics of my brake project. As of now I can only do the rear side first, because I don't have the fron't rotors and brackets yet.
I should be getting them next week (Can't wait :mrgreen: )

This is the kit that I bought. It has an internal parking brake.

This is my Ford 9+ rearend, axle removed

The parking brake and caliper bracket goes first

Then the axle goes in

I had to cut the OEM axle retainer and installed the wilwood retainer since the caliper bracket is thicker

Next, the rotor and the caliper are installed

And that's how it looks

this is the front caliper which is a lot bigger than the rear ones. Both front and rear calipers have 4 pistons.

I haven't tested them yet since I don't have the complete front kit and I don't have the back lines yet, and I need to flush the system also.

I will post pictures of the front kit as soon as I get them!
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: My 93 Ranger With Wilwood Brakes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Heck of a nice system you got there. That rear disk setup with the mini drum brakes inside for the parking brake is the same setup the factory Explorer brakes use too.
How much did that setup cost?
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I have to agree, that does look like a very clean and easy setup. With aftermarket rims that show through to the discs, that would be a nice upgrade to having a big ugly drum.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
302project

Post by 302project »

MalcolmV8 wrote:Heck of a nice system you got there. That rear disk setup with the mini drum brakes inside for the parking brake is the same setup the factory Explorer brakes use too.
How much did that setup cost?
Thanks!
It cost me around $2500
cgrey8 wrote:I have to agree, that does look like a very clean and easy setup. With aftermarket rims that show through to the discs, that would be a nice upgrade to having a big ugly drum.
Yeah it does look sweet! Later I'll buy these rims for the truck. I think it will look awesome!
1993 Ford Ranger STX with a BOSS302 4-bolt main block in 5.0L form, Scat crank and rods, Probe pistons, Trickflow twisted wedge heads, intake and fuel rails, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Automotive A1000 fuel pump, Canton oil pan, Mellin high volume oil pump, B&G Custom headers, PT88 Turbo, HPX PMAS MAF, MSD A6L box and distributor, Ford Racing 9 mm spark plug wires, 80 lbs Siemems injectors, stock A9L computer with an SCT 4 bank chip, ford 9" rear with coil overs, Tremec TKO500.
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

302 project you out classed me again. that brake setup looks really good. better then mine. i like the way you can see then too. i used stock ranger disk on the front and aerospace four piston disk on the rear, but i have no parking brake. cant see mine behind the weld wheels. i would like to have a spoke wheel on but dont trust them. back in the 70-80's i have blown the spokes out on a hard launch. they are probably make better now. i'm just old school, i stay with a solid type wheel, weld or centerline. i got to get some more money to keep up with you guys. maybe i'll have to rob a bank, but too old to make a getaway. with my walker and all. maybe one of those electric scooters. lol...the old trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

rojam18801 wrote:302 project you out classed me again. that brake setup looks really good. better then mine. i like the way you can see then too. i used stock ranger disk on the front and aerospace four piston disk on the rear, but i have no parking brake. cant see mine behind the weld wheels. i would like to have a spoke wheel on but dont trust them. back in the 70-80's i have blown the spokes out on a hard launch. they are probably make better now. i'm just old school, i stay with a solid type wheel, weld or centerline. i got to get some more money to keep up with you guys. maybe i'll have to rob a bank, but too old to make a getaway. with my walker and all. maybe one of those electric scooters. lol...the old trucker
take that beast of a motor out of your Ranger and put it in your scooter... bet they dont catch you them...lol How you been old trucker??
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
rojam18801

Post by rojam18801 »

v8ranger hi guy. things are just peachie with us here. there i go lieing again. this recession finaly got me too. went up to chicago last monday and broke my lease with the company i was with and quick sale sold my big truck. had to ride a bus back home. what a nightmare that was, i hate them bus's. my profit went from 2500-3000 a week two years ago to 300-400 a week now. freight rates just went to low. and that is working 7 days a week. now i'm home looking for a 9 to 5 job at home. hope i can find something. this suck's, i've been self employed for 40 years. now i got to learn how to say "yes sir boss" instead of "kiss my ass". hey you never did tell us now many point buck you got last season and how are you doing up there....the old broke trucker
83 ranger,347 stroker,sportsman block,forged crank,h rods,forged pistons,10.2 comp,roush heads,750 quick fuel carb,gear driven comp solid roller 306 dur.with 612 lift, motorsport roller rockers,6al msd,jegs rad,elec fan,c-4 full manual reverse pattern with trans brake 3800 stall,hurst quarter stick,hooker headers. fiberglass frontend,narrowed rear frame,tubbed,4 link rear,9 inch narrowed rear,4:56 locker,10 piont cage,10 gal fuel cell,180hp nos,linelock,m/t 18.5 wide rear tire.671 at 9lb boost
302project

Post by 302project »

rojam18801 wrote:302 project you out classed me again. that brake setup looks really good. better then mine. i like the way you can see then too. i used stock ranger disk on the front and aerospace four piston disk on the rear, but i have no parking brake. cant see mine behind the weld wheels. i would like to have a spoke wheel on but dont trust them. back in the 70-80's i have blown the spokes out on a hard launch. they are probably make better now. i'm just old school, i stay with a solid type wheel, weld or centerline. i got to get some more money to keep up with you guys. maybe i'll have to rob a bank, but too old to make a getaway. with my walker and all. maybe one of those electric scooters. lol...the old trucker
Hey rojam thanks for your comment and sucks about your financial status. It's hard to think that you had your own business for 40 years and now go back to the yes sir boss type of person. But look at the bright side, you won't have to travel out of home, you have more time for your toys and more time with your wife if she didn't travel with you, sometimes it works out. I think you'll do fine!!
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

rojam18801 wrote:v8ranger hi guy. things are just peachie with us here. there i go lieing again. this recession finaly got me too. went up to chicago last monday and broke my lease with the company i was with and quick sale sold my big truck. had to ride a bus back home. what a nightmare that was, i hate them bus's. my profit went from 2500-3000 a week two years ago to 300-400 a week now. freight rates just went to low. and that is working 7 days a week. now i'm home looking for a 9 to 5 job at home. hope i can find something. this suck's, i've been self employed for 40 years. now i got to learn how to say "yes sir boss" instead of "kiss my ass". hey you never did tell us now many point buck you got last season and how are you doing up there....the old broke trucker
No buck or doe this year. First time in 15 years I didnt get a deer. I guess the recession hit the deer hunting too, lol. It sucks you had to quit what you loved to do.... I hope things work out for you down there. I did get to take the truck out a couple weeks ago. Had to take it down to the car wash, it was nasty dirty. I didnt get it cleaned up and covered before the snow started to fly and it got real dusty sitting in the garage. we had a couple real nice days so I took it down and washed it and then covered it up. But not before bouncing the wifes head off the back window on the way to the car wash :mrgreen: , lol.... She wasnt to happy with me for doing that... I sure do miss driving something with some ass to it, lol... Going to be pretty nice here for the next week. Might have to take it out for a quick cruz...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Hey 302, checked that web site and they got some neat stuff there. Question is: did you have to order the fronts as a custom unit, didn't see anything listed for the Rangers.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
302project

Post by 302project »

^^ Hey Dave try this..

http://www.revolutionbrake.com/files/sp ... -06-07.pdf

Scroll to page 11 which is the Ranger and Ranchero section. If you have a newer Ranger,
then I suggest you to give Kevin Taylor a call. Tell him that Amel from Florida recommended you.
Good luck!!

Kevin Taylor
Technical Sales Representative
541 488 5638 FAX 541 488 5643
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Thanks! Those really do look good on your truck. I do have '98' and newer but I think I'm going to have to wait, like everyone else, money is getting tight.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
302project

Post by 302project »

It's been a while since I have posted. I finally got some pics of front brake setup.