Does Ranger Trans mount fit on the T5?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Does Ranger Trans mount fit on the T5?

Post by cgrey8 »

The project is moving along. This weekend, I got the truck underbelly pressure washed to knock off all the road gunk, jacked up resting on jack stands, and got the driveshaft pulled along with the tranny crossmember. While removing the crossmember, I looked at the factory transmission mount and I know I've read thread entries about the tranny mount, but I'm only remembering a few details about it.

Looking over the forum for discussions about tranny mounts, I'm not finding whether the Ranger's tranny mount works with the T5 or not. So can the Ranger 5-speed trans-mount bolt directly to the T5's mount holes or are the stud distances different between the two?

If I can't use the factory Ranger tranny mount, do I just buy a Mustang tranny mount?

viewtopic.php?t=64&highlight=transmission+mount

Reviewing the above thread, it appears the T5 mounting location is forward a few inches and that you either have to relocate the crossmember forward or make a flat bracket that bolts to the crossmember, then bolt the tranny mount to that. Since relocating the whole crossmember forward would require moving the parking brake bracket (more issues), I'm happy just to make the bracket.

While I was buying parts from CJnomor4 in Fla, he showed me pics of what he has done with a Camaro tranny mount. He mentioned that you don't want to mount a tranny without some kind of rubber mount between the tranny & crossmember or you may crack/break the tranny case. I can believe that since tranny cases are aluminum, not cast iron. Aluminum generally doesn't hold up nearly as well as Iron against high impact and heavy vibration.

Any other recommended dos-and-don'ts for a T5 swap?
Last edited by cgrey8 on Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

the mount i used is from a 89-93 thunderbird or cougar. the trans case may break if you dont use a rubber trans mount
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

For some reason, I was thinking you said Camaro...my bad for misquoting you.

What was the benefit or driving reason for using this particular tranny mount over the one that was used on the Mustang?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

You cant use the crossmember from mustang, its not long enough. I would have because I like the way it was shaped.
Elect666
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I plan to use the Ranger crossmember. I'm just interested in what transmission mount I should plan to use. If the Ranger mount won't work, then I'm going to need to pick one of those up. It's no big hurry, but in a few days, I'm hoping to have the 2.9L pulled and the 302 at least sitting in the engine bay for fitment.

That's the plan, now whether that actually happens this week is another story. :roll:
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

The ranger mount will install on the trans. Bolts right up.Well at least on mine it did.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

That's good news... :)

However is there some benefit in using a different mount?

I could invision a different "bolt-in" mount being thinner or thicker which would change the angle of the tailshaft to some more desirable angle. I was just curious to hear what other "tricks" had been done. However, I'm all for using what I got if it works.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

I did find that it could of been about 1/2 to 1" higher or closer to the floor for the shifter. I am thinking about adding some spacers but I dont want it touching the floor board. Yesterday I had to make the dent in the tunnel for the slave cylinder because if u hit the right bump it would make noise.
2lb hammer fixed that. Good luck with the swap.
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

im planning on the t-bird mount because of the way its shaped. the mustang mount attaches to the crossmember straight down. the t-bird attaches to the trans then goes toward the rear of the vehicle 2-3 inches. with some modification i can mount the trans on my factory crossmember without moving it or making a plate to make up the difference in length.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

cjcnomor4 wrote:im planning on the t-bird mount because of the way its shaped. the mustang mount attaches to the crossmember straight down. the t-bird attaches to the trans then goes toward the rear of the vehicle 2-3 inches. with some modification i can mount the trans on my factory crossmember without moving it or making a plate to make up the difference in length.
That would be cool if you could get it to work. It seems like my 92 had a lot more distance to cover, but maybe not. Here's my plate.

As Chris pointed out above trying to move the crossmember is a lot of work because you have to relocate the parking brake setup. I grinded the rivets off mine and tried relocating it a little but it was not worth it so I ended up bolting the crossmember back in the stock location and building the adapter plate.

Chris, my Ranger's stock transmission mount fitted right on the T5 but since it had 186K miles on it and was some 10+ years old I just replaced it with a new T5 mount.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I certainly don't have a problem replacing mine if it needs it. However I'd like to get what's going to work the best. What's the difference between an actual T5 trans mount and the factory Ranger mount? Is there a difference in thickness/height? Is one preferred over the other?

I can see how having a taller mount would be preferrable to get the shifter closer to the floorboard thus getting the shift handle higher in the cab. I've got a supercab Ranger that lets the seat back further than a standard cab so I don't think I'll have to worry about the shifter handle having problems hitting the the bench seat. But if my logic is working right, this will increase the running angle on the U-joints.

Just as a comparason, Malcolm mounted his Red Ranger V8 about as far back in the engine bay as he could which ultimately located the shifter further to the rear. Since Explorer accessory brackets locate the accessories so close to the engine, I won't need to locate my engine as far back for frontal clearance with the radiator (I don't think).

Image Image

Looking at Malcolm's pics of his shifter with the seat even let up a bit, I don't think I'll have much trouble at all with the seat and clearance. Also notice, his T5 tranny mount locates the shifter right at the floor of the cab which looks pretty good to me. However I can see there being some difficulty with shifting since the shifter handle points so far forward in the odd gears (1st, 3rd, & 5th). I think this is mostly because he mounted the shift handle backwards for clearance to the seat as seen here.

I wonder if I'll still need to do that? Looking over pics of Pro5.0 shifters, I can't remember which handle came with my shifter...

Image Image

Maybe Dave (from Wisconsin) remembers since I bought the shifter from him.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy

trans mount

Post by plowboy »

my trans mount lined right up with the crossmember ill will have to weld a plate over the factory holes on the crossmember and drill new ones because the bolts are a little wider but that is no big deal my engine and trans came out of a 95 mustang the front acc. drives are shorter like an explorer and the tranny mount moves the bolts to the rear enough that i dont have to make an extension plate
92 ranger ext cab 5.0 project
02 ram3500 diesel
o6 chevy Z-71 tahoe (wifes car)