Using Propane as a AC refrigerant

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: Using Propane as a AC refrigerant

Post by MalcolmV8 »

r134a in my Tundra blows 38F at the vents. Haven't checked the Cobra yet but it feels even colder. My blue Ranger used to be 33F at the vents on the highway.

Someone needs to take 20oz of compressed propane and get a leak and light it. I wanna see what happens :) or get a junk yard car and fill the a/c system with propane and drive into a wall or phone poll. Make sure cameras are rolling!
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger
SM: No

Post by v8ranger »

My temps where sitting in the garage. 34 is cold, how much colder does someone really need it to be????
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

v8ranger, your a/c temps will drop when cruising down the road. I don't think the main argument for propane is colder temps because really r134a systems today blow ice cold to the point you have to turn down the fan speed etc. even in 100F heat. I think the main deal is that they can make an adapter for $9 as posted earlier in the thread and just fill up with their bbq grill propane bottle and save... ah what $20 in 134a :roll:
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Ya, sitting still is not as cold because the condenser is getting hot cuz theres not enough air going through it to cool it off, that and the heat from the rad.. I always have to turn mine down going down the road. My Mountaineer had a great heat and A/C system. Like you said Malcolm, What the cost saving, a few bucks? not worth it to me to have an exsplosive gas in there. Thats just me...
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I think its mostly a novelty and possibly the corporations don't want people doing this sentiment playing into this...along with a little Look what I can do thrown in there just for good measure. Like I said, use of Propane as a refrigerant was a truly attractive option back when the cost difference was multiple hundreds of dollars, not $10. For $10, I'll use the non-flammable R134a.

But if this is what they want to do, I'm not their pappa. They know the risks. And just thinking out loud (as loud as words can be), I don't doubt that a propane-charged AC has the potential to be dangerous, but I've never actually heard of people blowing themselves up using it in this way. So while I'm not compelled to use propane in my vehicles, it wouldn't upset me to know I was being cooled by a propane-charged AC system in someone elses car. Propane has a VERY strong odor added to it that most people can smell at levels WAY below explosive concentrations even with an open flame. At explosive concentrations, it's almost gagging. So in the event they have a bad leak, they'll know it WAY before it is strong enough to explode. But even if they do wander into a propane-carpeted basement, hopefully don't say, Something smell's funny, let me light up a stogie while I ponder on what that familiar pungent smell is. And if they do, well that's just Darwinism at work.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Warpig Racing

Post by Warpig Racing »

No family to worry about. Just the dog. I dont smoke and dont allow people to smoke in the cars. All the decent reasons are going right out the window.

My opinion is that people have propane in their homes all the time. Nobody seems to fuss about that. The smell is very stong so you would smell it if it were leaking. Also, I would say that it is safe to say that using it as a refrigerant is safe. Big business doesnt want you to think it is safe so they can make lots of money selling your refrigerant.

I can totally afford the R134A. It is still cheap. Would cost me less than $25 at the parts store. That's no problem. I am doing it more as a personal experiment.

So how about CNG vehicles? That is high pressure nat gas that is highly flamable. DO you think those are risky? What about people that run propane in their trucks and have a 100 gallon tank in the bed?

Fact is i just dont see it being any risky than any of the other items listed above. If anything I see it as less risky due to the limited quantity.
Will
88 extended cab w/ 347, C6 w/ 3100 stall, Narrow 9" w/ 28x14.50 Quick Time Pros.
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/Ranger
09 Honda chopper http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/imabass/CB750/
99 Ram
05 Toyota Camry (4 banger)
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I Think its more of the fact that the propane would be circulating inside the vehicle. Vehicles that run on propane don't have it inside with them. If there where any leaks its all outside and would be able to dissipate and not build up inside. And yes its inside most houses. Not mine, not even natural gas, but most people do. I think inside a house if there is a leak its a bigger space, so your more likely to smell it before it gets to an explosive level. But I don't know, I see it in the news all the time where houses are exploding from natural gas/ propane leaks. There was a house here a couple years ago that exploded. Thank god no one was killed. They where home in bed and it blew them out into the back yard. The husbands back was broken and he has a long recovery ahead. Everyone is around things than can go boom all the time. I hope it works well for you. Everyone can argue this topic all day, every day.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

The only other viable argument against propane that I can think of and should be aware of is that when you tear down the system to work on it, you'll have residual propane leaking out. And there is the potential for a spark when you twist on bolts and nuts. In a real propane system, everything is copper fittings to prevent sparks. Not all parts in a car AC are made of spark-suppressing metal. But the risk is minimal if you allow the system to discharge as fully as possible 1st. All that's left is what's in evaporated form in the lines. Best that can do is burn the hair off your knuckles if it ignites. It's certainly not going to explode.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
plowboy34

Post by plowboy34 »

Well warpig you have at it. Although you will not find propane or natural gas in my house. In-laws house burnt to the ground....propane. Buddy's 60x100 shop leveled flat.....propane. Dad and two kids burnt to crisp after vehicle accident in a propane powered pickup....I saw this 2 minutes after wreck when my dad and I pulled up right after wreck. I was 13 (now 46) and it is still very real in my head. I also assure you it is more than big business why they dont use propane. But this is still the most free country in the world so you have at it. I wish you the best and hope you never have any problems with it. I do pray that you switch to 134a buddy.
Dirt is for Farming....Asphalt is for Racing

85 Ranger 5.0, GTP Engine, Carbed, AOD, 7.5 3:45 rear gear(for now)
77 Mustang II 302, C4, 8" rearend 3:00 gears, 4 point roll bar
73 Mustang Convertible, Bone Stock, 48,000 original miles
91 F-250 5.8W(really needs a 460) 4X4
2000 Mustang 3.8 V6, Bone Stock
2011 Ford Fusion (Momma's hot rod)