5 spd guys a little help

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

small block ranger

5 spd guys a little help

Post by small block ranger »

hi my name is Ross im from the MN and i am the proud owner of a 1993 v8 ranger im new to the fourm and all of you have nice trucks but last weekend i had a problem with mine my clutch linkage broke the guy before me rigged but something and i tried to do the same but it will not hold how did you do your clutch petals and what linkage do you have mine clutch is a cable clutch by the way.

sorry about the way this was typed just in a hurry to get it on the road for the weekend and pictures would be a big help thanks guys
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: 5 spd guys a little help

Post by cgrey8 »

I reused the stock hydraulic master and rigged up a slave cylinder to push my T5's clutch fork. It's covered in these threads:
Parts needed to adapt the T5 into the Ranger
It runs, but the clutch doesn't completely disengage

Here's a pic of what I have working...and has been working since the truck got on the road:
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Welcome Russ! I'm over here in Central Wis. Some have tried the cable set-up and given up and gone to the hydraulic set-up. Lots of ways to do it with mostly stock Ford parts. I'd have to go back in my stach of info to find a bunch of the different options.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Welcome to a great site.... Ya go to those links. I did the same thing everyone else did here. Works so much better now...
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
small block ranger

Post by small block ranger »

its something to do during the winter is there a cable set up that works and to do the hydrolic set up is this somthing I will have to take the whole dash out for ?
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

I did a cable setup, it kept breaking the cables at least once a year, it was a pain in the ass, and it was very stiff. Nooooooo, the dash doesnt have to come out. Do you all ready have the stock clutch peddle? Was the truck a stick to begin with?
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If the truck was originally equipped with a stick and you have all that equipment, 99% of it can be reused. Read over those threads for details. But in short, I reused the Master Clutch cylinder, hardline, and quick-disconnect. I pulled the quick disconnect off the internal slave cylinder on the stock trans's slave and put it on my 83-84 Ranger external slave cylinder. A little cut and drill time on a flat 1/4" plate and I had a working setup...oh yeah and the threaded rod.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

cgrey8 wrote:If the truck was originally equipped with a stick and you have all that equipment, 99% of it can be reused. Read over those threads for details. But in short, I reused the Master Clutch cylinder, hardline, and quick-disconnect. I pulled the quick disconnect off the internal slave cylinder on the stock trans's slave and put it on my 83-84 Ranger external slave cylinder. A little cut and drill time on a flat 1/4" plate and I had a working setup...oh yeah and the threaded rod.
I didnt have to use a threaded rod. I was able to just use the rod that was in the slave.
Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If he can get away with doing that, that's great. However I'd rather prepare him for the more common scenario, which requires the rod. I'm still amazed that your setup doesn't. That's good news for you, but you are the only one I've ever heard of that runs this setup and didn't need a threaded rod. I suspect your master cylinder is a larger diameter and/or the slave cylinder is a smaller diameter than most allowing you to use that rod. I tried to find the optimal master/slave combo to get the longest slave stroke possible, but I never could find a difference in diameters between masters or slaves in the aftermarket. I went to both Advance and AutoZone and literally took apart their cylinders to measure the bores. If someone ever finds a supplier and PN that is different than the norm, then post up that info in those old threads where I talk about having to use the threaded rod.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
v8ranger

Post by v8ranger »

Ported GT-40 heads
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Stock posi rear end