Oh wise ones guide me :)

Sit back and relax. This is the place to chat about anything and everything.

Moderator: MalcolmV8

cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: Oh wise ones guide me :)

Post by cgrey8 »

Oh, you aren't going to get me to talk you out of a stroker. LOL.

I was just stating that you don't have to get new crank and connecting rods to do an overbore. Upgrading pistons while doing a .030" bore is fairly common. But generally people doing this aren't re-polishing the crank and replacing connecting rods for a mild build. They go back together with new bearings, the new pistons, and that's about it.

But you are right, there is a lot of money in a stroker. The kit itself with all the parts is going to be around $1000 for a fully balanced cast crank kit. You can get cheaper kits in the $700 range, but from every machinist I've talked to, the "budget" stroker kits cost you more in the machine shop than you save because of the extra machining they require to get them properly balanced. Evidently the cheaper cranks are more difficult to balance...something about having to put metal back ON vs drilling them out. A good pre-balanced kit is typically $900-1000.

Coast High Performance (CHP) sells excellent kits. I think theirs are based on SCAT cranks, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The Mustang Depot (TMD) also sells good kits. TMD is where I'm getting my kit from because they were willing to actually look through the KB SilvoLite book and find a piston to give me the deck height I am looking for. All other shops told me to deck the block because, basically they didn't want to take the time if I didn't have a Part Number to make it easy for them.

If the block has twist, you may decide to deck the block anyway to get the twist out. But if it doesn't need decking, then just getting the right piston is a lot cheaper. If the heads drop by more than .020" due to decking and/or thinner head gaskets, then you usually need to machine the lower intake to work with the lower head location and that's more money.

Point is depending on what all you are doing to the block, there's another roughly $300 of machine shop work to expect. Here's sample pricing from a local machine shop (labor only):
$120 Bore-n-Hone .030" ($15/cylinder * 8 cylinders)
$50 Block Bath
$25 R&R Cam Bearings & Freeze plugs (plus parts)
$125 Deck (may or may not need)

Other services I also got pricing on but that you may or may not need (labor only):
$225 Complete short block assy inc checking journal clearances
$600 Complete long block assy
$225 3-angle valve job machine work for both heads and all valves
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Well looking at one of the most respected shops, found these kits for under $1000. They used to be a lot more expensive.
Dave
http://www.coasthigh.com/searchresults.asp?Cat=2001
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Soul

Post by Soul »

Ok I give whats this one?
25 R&R Cam Bearings & Freeze plugs (plus parts)
Is that installing the cam bearings? We always do this as we have a cam bearing installer.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
Soul

Post by Soul »

For the most part if block doesn't need bored, We will hone it ourselves and have them polish the crank, which well be all I'm out. If need bored I'll get it .30 over and stroker kit, I already have a clearance tool so that shouldnt' be a big deal.
87 Ranger: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 64cc 185 AFR heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Full manual reverse VB c4
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I don't have a cam bearing installer nor a freeze plug installer, so I'd need the machine shop to do that. I've never priced what a cam bearing installer costs. If its less than $25, I guess it might be worth it for me to do that. But I just thought $25 was too reasonable to bother looking into it further. I could be convinced otherwise.

As for the prices being cheaper, most that are sub $900 are not prebalanced or are balanced for 28oz flywheel/balancer. I'll need my stroker kit balanced for 50oz equipment. So maybe that doesn't apply for someone that has a 28oz flywheel and balancer already.

TMD offers a block clearance tool for free with all their stroker kits I believe. So even if you don't have one, they supply one. 331 strokers (3.25" stroke) don't need to be clearanced for most connecting rods. There are some really wide rods that might still benefit from the clearance. All 347 (3.4" stroke) kits will require this regardless of rod.

BTW, I've been told a 50oz balancer is actually imbalanced 34oz and is used with a 50oz imbalance flywheel/flexplate. But because the 28oz stuff matched flywheel to balancer, most people just refer to the 34oz balancers as 50oz balancers. Can anybody confirm/clarify/correct on that?
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Soul

Post by Soul »

We have a bearing driver but before that we used a threaded rod with 2 big washers, have to be super careful when doing that as you can warp the bearing.
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Chris, for freeze plugs. To remove hammer one side with a screw driver till it spins in the hole and then pull out with pliers. Do not scratch surface of the hole it's coming out of. To install use a large socket that fits inside the plug and gently tap in. If the machine shop is doing it no big deal. Just FYI if you run into any. They are super easy.

Those machine shop costs seem reasonable too. I wish I could remember the break down on mine. total was $2017.16. I think $830 or so of that was pistons and rings. That total also included main and rod bearings as the machine shop needed them to do the work.

That included boring .20 over, line honing the block for the crank and making sure it was all true. Polishing the journals on the crank, opening up the rod bearing ends ever so slightly for better clearance. Also included balancing my entire rotating assembly. Each rod/piston combo weighs exactly the same amount and has a specific rotating ahhh number or something. I forget what it was called. I got a card with a bunch of info filled out by the machine shop showing how to duplicate that engine.
Block decked etc.

Wish I'd upped the compression just a tad back then but oh well.

Soul, don't forget to budget for your turbos lol :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Soul

Post by Soul »

lol I still have an hx35 off a cummens 7 liter in my floor, could totally remote mount that, and tear it up first week :)
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

There you go lol.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Soul

Post by Soul »

You totally like playing devil's advocate :twisted:
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member

Post by MalcolmV8 »

nah I'm just a huge fan of superchargers and turbos. I'd put a blower on my push lawn mower if I could find one small enough :)
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

Soul

Post by Soul »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGz4i2_Iuk

Make it a 20 horse pusher:)
Soul

Post by Soul »

Also looks like I'll be doing this, on the weekend
http://www.themustangdepot.com/servlet/ ... ool/Detail
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Stroking requires you replace pistons, connecting rods, and crank. But stroking does NOT require that you bore. Although most stroker projects include having the cylinders bored .030" over

dont forget MOST strokers require that the block be "clearanced" for the rods or they will hit the bottom of the cylinder bores when it rotates ...... need to "notch" both sides of the cylinders..... this can be done by installing the crank and a rod and rotating it by hand till it just touches the bore... then mark it with a sharpie then rotate it backwards till it hits on the other side and do the same thing with the sharpie ..... you will have to do this on all 8 bores.... i used my porting tool with a metal grinding bit to remove the metal from my FSM SVO block. Good Luck on the build and keep us posted with pix if possible.
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Any 347 will require notching for sure. Most 331s with standard connecting rods won't. Although if you get some really thick or light weight rods, they may have problems clearing. Most people clearance the block even if it is a 331 even if they don't have to just so they don't have to worry about the potential of metal-stretch at high RPMs causing the rods to scrape the block.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org