New Clutch slave option

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

87sc302
SM: No

New Clutch slave option

Post by 87sc302 »

I have been researching the Miata 5.0 and ran across this unique t5 slave option.

87 XCab Lowered
306 CI World windsor Heads
Tr-Y Headers, Flowmaster,Mild
650 Quik fuel Holley/Edelbrock rpm perf
T-5
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Re: New Clutch slave option

Post by cgrey8 »

That's a good setup EXCEPT you want the bleeder valve pointed UP not DOWN. You'd need to bleed the slave with it unmounted from the trans.

Mounting the slave directly to the trans also puts the push-point closer up on the fork. That may significantly increase the pedal pressure although you shouldn't have to worry about the clutch not dis-engaging.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
carvinmark

Post by carvinmark »

I think this may work for me on my Falcon, thanks
88 Ranger short bed, 5.0 HO, T5, 9", My driver, Thanks guys for your help
63 Falcon, chopped top, tubbed, many mods, sitting for many years, soon to have 331 and T5
60 Galaxie Starliner, chopped rat rod cruiser
Berrian 100" rail, Corvair 140+ 6 cylinder
00 Explorer, 4.0, AWD, daily driver
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

While I'm not doubting the workability of this option as you've shown it, I do have to ask what makes this option "better" over the 83-84 Ranger external slave setup? Cost?

The 83-84 Ranger External slave setup reuses the Ranger's stock hydraulic line including the quick-connect connector. Like this setup, the Ranger external slave could also be mounted directly to the bell like you've shown, although I'm not sure I see this as ideal or optimal. If I were doing this slave setup, I think I'd still mount it to a plate so it can push on the fork out where the stock Mustang's cable would've been pulling from but that's also because I want a stock or as near-stock clutch feel in my daily driver. For a weekend fun machine or someone that doesn't mind the heavier pedal, this would be a moot point. Although I admit the idea of mounting it where you've shown simply never occurred to me to even consider.

My only complaint with my stock external Ranger slave setup has been the price of the slave. They aren't exactly cheap (~$70 just for the slave). But the reuse of existing equipment made up for that to me. Although someone said their 280z slave setup was still cheaper than the Ranger external slave setup despite needing a custom hydraulic line, an -an fitting for the slave cylinder, and the Ford adapter to connect the hydraulic line to the master cylinder. Going off memory, the slave itself was only like $30 and the entire slave cylinder conversion cost of ~$50.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Teddyzee

Post by Teddyzee »

That's pretty cool.

Looks like it would get good travel mounted way "in" there.

My bleeder points down ('83/'84 Ranger DIESEL).
If that one has equal size fittings, (bleeder and line) easy to swap them...
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Bleeder pointing down shouldn't be a problem. Remember the line running down to the slave is all straight down and the bubbles get forced down it with pressure too.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8