Grumpy asked about my seats

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Teddyzee
SM: No

Grumpy asked about my seats

Post by Teddyzee »

So I figured I would share the info in public. I installed some "race style" seats in my Ranger, they are Summitracing brand. The sole reason I chose them was for the white vinyl. It was cheaper for me to just buy new ones. They replaced Explorer buckets that were in my ''97 Supercab.

The seats come with manual tracks, but I discarded those and used the Explorer power bracket assemblies. The manual Ranger/Explorer brackets may be similar, but the Explorers have a nice flat rail.
The tapped holes in the bottom of the seat just missed the brackets, so all that was need was a small tab to connect the two.
I used a button head fastener as shown to keep the seats a low as possible. They are now lower than the Ex seats, and the original Ranger seats. With the power option, they can rise about 5" is desired.
Power race seats! lol...
Teddyzee wrote: Spent yesterday making some little spacers to mount the new seats:
Fancy!

The new seat bolts are just slightly wider than the Explorer power seat tracks. They'll sit like this with some button-head bolts. Just need to drill the frames.

Oh, here's what an Ex power seat rail looks like. Figured it's just as easy to use this as make them manual. If I don't like it, I'll redo it

Good thing is I won't need to redo my seatbelt receivers, they're bolted to the frame. I will need to find a place to mount the controls.
Teddyzee wrote:
Bolted the tabs to the rails with button head bolts to keep them as low as possible

Soooo.... They might be way too tall, I have no idea. May toss them in the truck in the morning.
Teddyzee wrote:Finished the interior work.
Anyway, I don't love the seats or anything, just wanted something white. They're comfy, and I was able to easily retain the power functions.

Intake gaskets on the dash, lol...

The rails tuck in nicely. The control panel is sitting in front of each seat- that's where they are on my car, so I'll leave them there for a while.

I still haven't cleaned the thing, but I'm sure I'll get to that soon.
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
Teddyzee

Re: Grumpy asked about my seats

Post by Teddyzee »

He also asked about the one piece drive shaft.

teddyzee wrote: Also have this:

4" driveshaft from an '08 Ranger. Perfect length (2wd manual trans Supercab), but won't fit as my truck is too low. So this will involve cutting a driveshaft tunnel into my floor, mostly in the backseat area. My current 2 piece shaft is robbing a ton of power. (my stocker is in the pic, too)
I'll probably cut a secton from the Explorer floor to make life easier.
Teddyzee wrote:
Cut a hole in the floor, in the back seat, to fit the one piece driveshaft. This is to replace a driveline vibration that I cannot get rid of.
Trimmed a couple crossmembers- one on the frame, one on the cab. Fits well, and no vibration yet. None on take off, and took it up to about 75mph with zero vibration.

looking rearward from inside the cab

Need to patch the hole, but so far so good.
Teddyzee wrote:More progress on the floor.

Cut a chunk out of my Explorer to use for a patch:

Put it in place, started fitting, but decided it would be a pain, as it wasn't very flat.

So, as I had not cut the Ranger floor out entirely, I just folded it back down, but bent it enough to give about 2" of clearance.

Then did what my bro just finished doing on his cowl hood; Filled in the sides.

The fillers, all made and flanged:

And here they are sitting in place. I'll weld them next time:

Cool thing is, the red pieces came from the hood Phil cut out from his RX7.
Teddyzee wrote:Floor is done, next time I'm out I'll seem seal it and put the interor back together.

Gone, lol! Some of you may have never seen the claw for the Explorer console... there it is...

BTW, that's as clean as carpet gets when you have dogs!
Lots of copy/paste here, hope it makes sense. The one piece drive shaft would likely bolt into any '97 and older Supercab, just get one from the same style of trans. Mine only needed modification because it's so low. A lifted truck may just need the carrier bearing cross member removed.
Hope that interests someone!
'97 Ranger Supercab.
Dropped 5/8
18X9,18X10 Bullitts 275/40 front and 295/35/18 rear
5.0 H.O. T5, 1.7rr, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm tb, 1 piece driveshaft, 3.55 Traction Lok, dual 2.5" Flowmasters, Cobra discs front and rear
Explorer power buckets and console
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Teddy .... that is ALOT of GREAT info there !!!.. and yes it WILL be helpful to me... as mine is a 96 extended cab that is lowered also ..(3 or 3 1/2 in the front and 4 1/2 in the rear) ..... just not as much as yours is .... so i might not have to notch the rear floor panel .......

now... all i need to do is go "junking" as my wife calls it... for some seat brackets an a center console and "claw" and other brackets to put it all in .... if you do not mind... im goin to use your interior as a base starting point for mine .. as i LOVE your interior !!!!!

dude you just dont know how helpful those pix are !! ...

i got a EVTM manual ordered for my 96 so ill have all the wire diagrams and plugs and circuits an all that good stuff so i can get all my Mustang harness and stuff all wired in and not have as many probs i would have if i didnt have a EVTM manual....lol

thanks again.. and GREAT pix too !!
i might have a few more requests later on as i get mine goin together .... like bigger brakes for the front and rear disks too ... but keep my 15's instead of having to go to 18's or so ....
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy
Dave
Supporting Member

Post by Dave »

Great Pic's Teddy! Another one that just loves them seats.
Dave
'66'Ranchero 302/5 speed
2015 Stage 3 Roush - rated at 670 hp
2000 Ext Cab/4 door swap project
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Summer beater
2000 Ext Cab/4 door, Winter beater
1969 Fairlane Cobra in Barn, just waiting
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

yea well ... i got a list of parts to look for when i go "junkin" now ...

yea Dave... im like you.. i LOVE the interior of his truck... and them seats are the bomb too !!!...but when i get mine... im goin to have to get Black/Grey ones .... cuz of the colors im goin to pain my truck ...

ooohhh..... for you guys that have Facebook... go look at this Mustang GT 350 and let me know what ya think about it ... i think it looks killer myself !! ... i dunno if ya dont have Facebook if you can see it or not... but hell... give it a try .....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

or if you or someone ya know had a 4wd 4-wheeler... go look at this one ....i think its a lil OVER kill .. but hell i bet it wouldnt get stuck to easy !!!! ,,,,, lmao ....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... t=1&ref=nf
96 Ranger Extended cab - work in progress.. 5.0 out of a 90 Mustang GT..Tremec TKO-3550-2 with mid-shift conversion ..Explorer GT40 intake and fuel rails. X303 FMS cam . WP Jr alum heads . K&N air filter.lowered .Weld Drag Lites (or Weld Pro-Stars) .. a 8.8 with Auburn Pro ..Moser custom alloy street axles (31 spline) and a 3:73 gear.L&L engine mounts and oil filter adapter.Aluminum Rad from James Duff.

Peace from Oxford Miss.
Grumpy