How difficult is it to replace a steering box?

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Re: How difficult is it to replace a steering box?

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Ah ok. Both my Ranger's were on the original pumps before switching to v8s. One was 190k miles and the other 160k I think. So only half your miles but still not to bad.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member
SM: No

Re: How difficult is it to replace a steering box?

Post by cgrey8 »

Yeah the V6 was pulled when the truck was at 267kmiles.

The V6 PS pumps leaked for YEARS. The original got so bad, I had to replace it. I can't remember if I replaced it more than once though. It wasn't because the pump itself went bad. It was replaced due to failing seals causing leaks. The leaking might be a reason why my steering box lasted as long as it did. I was constantly filling it with fresh fluid which presumably means the truck was constantly flushing some of the particulate out.

The hope is with a new steering box, new return hose on the steering box, silicone around the oil pan & valve cover gaskets of the new engine, and a new water pump, that I'll finally get the truck to stop leaking fluids for a few years.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org