Power steering pump is leaking

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Elect666
SM: No

Power steering pump is leaking

Post by Elect666 »

Well I have a great question..I was replacing the mustang pump with the Ranger pump because I tought the shaft seal was bad and I didnt want to tear it all down. So I put the other pump on it and I have the same problem..but now I can see where it is leaking from..
Its the nut that is part of the high pressure line. I took out the connector in the pump to see if there was a plastic washer in it like the Ranger book said it should be and the is not.
What I was wondering is if anyone has their pump off and could look in the connector (on the pump) and see if there is one.( plastic washer)
I might have to goto the dealer for one.
I bought a rebuild seal kit but it didnt have one in the kit..the hose end is just a nut on a ball..
If any one could help I would be greatful

Jimmy
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

It's been a while since I had all that stuff apart. I ended up using an Explorer pump which has the remote resovour. Anyhow when I was reconnecting the high pressure line to the pump I recall having a hard plastic like seal to put in there. It came with the rebuilt pump I got at the auto parts store. Sorry, not sure if that helps you any. The dealer shouldn't get you to bad on that seal?

Malcolm
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I've got my pump out of the truck and disconnected. While I'm up at the barn tonight, I'll make an attempt to get pics of my Ranger pump's inlet where the nut screws into the pump.

However just from memory I don't remember a plastic washer (doesn't mean there isn't). But I do remember a rubber O-ring that goes around the nut to seal the nut inside the pump. I found that I could reuse that washer, but after about a few months it started leaking. I'd saved the new O-ring that came with the new pump just in case it did start leaking and put that on. That fixed my leak...at the nut anyway. I still had a pretty regular leak on the return side where the rubber hose going back up to the reservior had gotten old and loose. Between that PS Pump leak and the valve covers that have leaked ever since I bought the truck, my engine bay's pretty filthy. The good part about that is...no rust.

Speaking of the empty engine bay, I STILL haven't gotten a chance to clean it out. Things just keep taking my time which is more frustrating than banging up knuckles when I do get a few hours to work. At least it does make progress, even if it's really slow...
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

Thanks for the info..Chris that would be great if you could get pics..I am talking about the nut that screws into the other nut( sorry dont know names) the rebuild kit called it a connector.I think Malcolm is right the might be a plastic washer the goes down in there.
Thanks Jimmy
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Here are the pics of the PS nut and inlet. They are not cleaned up at all so you can see all the grime and every spec of dirt, but I think it'll show the details you are wanting to see. If I didn't get what you need, I should be back in the barn again tonight.

...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

Thanks Chris those are great pic's.
But that is the same pump as the 87 Mustang I dont have that type of hose. My hose has the nut and a bullet type nub. I should just get the mustang hose with the o-ring on the end and use the mustang pump.
A little on the good side I made a rubber bushing and put it in the pump and it seems to be holding for now..I dont know how long the rubber will last under the heat.I believe thats why its made out of plastic.

Again thanks for the help
Jimmy
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO
cjcnomor4

Post by cjcnomor4 »

theres a teflon ring on the fitting. its white or clear. you may need a tool to put it on.
Elect666

Post by Elect666 »

I figured I would put this where it belongs, Well it seems I did not blow a line. Infact it was the low pressure line. I had the hose clamp below the tit on the pump and I guess there was enough pressure behind it at 65/70 mpg to throw it out.(alot)
This my not have anything to do with it but when I pout the hose clamp where it belongs, it sound quite and turns a whole lot better.
Its the type hose clamp that you have to squeeze with pliers, and when I changed from the mustang pump to the Ranger pump I just never put it all the way on.
We are to learn from our mistakes!(lol)
Elect666
92 Ranger
87-- 302 HO