Intercooler on a Ranger V8

All discussions about V8 Rangers

Moderator: MalcolmV8

Adam McLaughlin
SM: No

Intercooler on a Ranger V8

Post by Adam McLaughlin »

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone here ever tried to run an intercooler on their V8 powered ranger?

Right now I am trying to help combat pinging, as well as tinkering around with some turbo ideas. My first step would be to lower the compression, but I could start by making my own cold air intake with an all aluminum radiator, some plumbing, an air filter and an idea...

Right now I have the throttle body right above that hot exhaust manifold. I would love to get the two some more distance between each one, and a pretty radiator hanging behind the front bumper would look pretty cool too. :o)

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
1989 Mustang w/ H/C/I V-2 SQ and A9S w/ TwEECer
v8ranger

Re: Intercooler on a Ranger V8

Post by v8ranger »

302project has done just what your talking about, but he had an intercooler that made for a turbo. I dont think a radiator would be able to flow enough air. I have a supercharger on my Ranger but I dont have an intercooler. I dont have any problems with pinging. I'm sure an intercooler would help make more power, but for now I'm not having any problems. But I'm only running 6 pounds of boost.
1986 Ranger with 1990 5.0 HO roller motor
Ported GT-40 heads
Duel plane air gap intake with 750cfm Holly
Paxton SN93 Supercharger with 3 1/2" pulley.
8 to 9psi of boost??
T-5 trans
Large tube shorty headers
Stock posi rear end
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

Have you tried installing a lower temp T-stat? When I was researching high compression setups for the 331 project I'm in the middle of, I found that the max compression you can run effectively changes depending on the engine temp. So for instance you could run mid 10s for compression if the engine is kept at 170°, but 10:1 is going to be pretty much the limit on pump gas if the engine gets into the 200s, which mine typically does because of the 195° Tstat I have in it.

Also I believe you maintained your EGR. Have you experimented with increasing the EGR flow? If so, did you also make sure to zero-out the EGR Spark Adder Table? In stock form, the EEC adds spark with EGR gas. Sometimes you just want more EGR but you don't want it also adding more spark. Zeroing out that table will allow you to control spark independent of EGR flow. In stock form, the tune also has EGR being tapered off at higher loads (~60%). I keep the EGR flowing there so I can glean a little more spark advance that I'd otherwise either have to sacrifice or force a rich Open Loop condition for.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Adam McLaughlin

Hey Chris,

Yes, I have a 180 degree temp stat in the truck right now. Have had it for the past seven years. Thought that this was important as the radiator in the truck has always been a compromise radiator anyway.

I have tinkered with the EGR in the past, but at the moment I believe that the EEC is taught that this is shut off. My pinging doesn't happen at your typical high load condition, but during the low RPM points and a moderate load event, such as while cruising down main street n 4th at 45 MPH and at 1400 RPM. I do know that this can be tuned out, but this can be done much more easily if I were to ditch the Moates Chip and get the Quarter Horse and a Wide Band, as well as move the air inlet for the MAF from right above the passenger side manifold to something behind the radiator or... under the bumper, etc.

Tinker away...

Adam
1992 Ranger with a 1995 357 L Engine - 9.4:1 Compression & AFR 185 CC Heads- A9L and Moates Chip - AOD and 3.73 Detroit Locker *smog legal* in California
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

If its not happening at high load conditions, I would definitely start datalogging what RPM/Load this is happening at and up the EGR flow in those areas just to see what happens. BUT as I said earlier, I would also null out the EGR Spark Adder table so you aren't adding more spark than you are getting benefit from the EGR.

I thought you'd long since gotten a Moates Quarterhorse? Compared to the TwEECer, they are far superior. Datalog EVERYTHING you want, no limits on an 89-93 Mustang EEC...well there are limits, but the limits are so much higher than the things you need to datalog, there are effectively no limits. Add to that, you can get a QH for 1/2 the cost of a TwEECer RT. It's worth breaking off some money for particularly since you already have an investment into BinaryEditor and EEC Analyzer.
...Always Somethin'

89 Ranger Supercab, 331, ported GT40p heads w/1.6RRs, Crane Powermax 2020 cam, ported Explorer lower, FMS Explorer (GT40p) headers, aftermarket T5 'Z-Spec', 8.8" rear w/3.27s, Powertrax Locker, A9L w/Moates QuarterHorse, Innovate LC-1, James Duff traction bars, iDelta DC Fan controller

Admin of EECtuning.org
Adam McLaughlin

Hi Chris,

I hear you, I hear you on the Q.H. I remember when they came out.

Heck, I would be happy if I could just have my 2nd TwEECer back. Got stolen the night after I did a show and tell for the local Mustang guys. What a shame... Wish I could have that back. Can't help but suspect that it was "liberated" by one of my pupils following my one hour chat about it. Saddest part is that the thief probably didn't even know how to use it, but would have had my assistance with the thing should he ever had actually gotten into one of these and asked for a little help.

Alright, this weekend I will add the EGR system back into the truck's EEC and then wipe out the spark table like you suggest. I think I'll need to dig out some vacuum line and some wiring, but this won't be tough as I am sure that I have these pieces around the garage from when I plucked them in '08.

I'll also need to think of a way to flow test a mystery radiator to see if I can measure pressure drop when at flow; the local surplus yard has some gorgeous units that I would love to integrate into the truck to tinker with.

Adam
Adam McLaughlin

OK.

Got out the burn 1 and the EEC from the truck today. Been a long time since I had been in there. Probably almost two years.

WOW there have been some changed in B.E.

Anyways, I re-enabled the EGR system, and then multiplied the stock cell values for the EGR tables by 1.25 for both Sea level and Altitude. The EGR spark adder was reduced to .10 for all cells that had any data in them for the stock A9L tune.

So.. The real trick is to see how this does on a warm day. My daily commute is 9 miles each way, but 90% of this is highway driving, and since this is the coldest SUMMER EVER for the wine country, I can drive all of the way to work, pop the hood and still hold my hand on the upper intake and not be uncomfortably too warm. Usually the same thing coming back.

The stop and go driving through town through the city is what heats this motor up, so I'll swoop up some more pieces for various jobs and then see where we are at.

In the mean time, I am planning on relocating the battery to the passenger side bed corner of the truck, and then using that space for Turbo piping and air distribution, cooling, etc. Lots of pics to follow!!

Adam

p.s. I can't wait to get a Q.H. been looking forward to that for quite a while!!
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

I completely zero'd out my EGR Spark Adder Table. You can always add the spark back in the Sealevel and Alt tables. I also wrote a tech doc about the various ways of simplifying spark down to its barest essentials here:
Simplifying timing on 89-93 Mustang 5.0L (GUFx) EECs

Yeah BE has changed particularly the dashboards. They are completely customizable now. Here's a screencap of my dashboard:
BE_DigitalDash.jpg
BTW, the ACT is bogus. It's not nearly that cool here this time of year.

Another update you may have missed out on the FN1360 hack to the GUFx tunes. If you aren't familiar with what that is, read this thread:
FN1360 for GUFx strategies

I won't bore the people here with the details of what that does since most people here are carbed and wouldn't care.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Adam McLaughlin wrote:and since this is the coldest SUMMER EVER for the wine country, I can drive all of the way to work, pop the hood and still hold my hand on the upper intake and not be uncomfortably too warm.
You should come to Kansas City for a few. It's so hot and muggy over here you just step outside and within 5 seconds or less you'll be sweating and your shirt will be stuck to you. It's unbearable. I saw on the news in the last two weeks eight people have died in KC from the heat. Our power bills are through the roof with a/c running non stop struggling to keep up with the heat.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8
Adam McLaughlin

Hey Malcolm,

Over here in wine country, we have had TWO days above 90 F. That's it for 2010. That's all.

Most days over here, the weather has been cloudy and overcast until noon, then some sun to about 4, and then the clouds have come back again. Really dismal. We have been lucky to break 70 F most days this summer.

Then again, I pay $2000 RENT on my 2200 square foot house, so I am certain you fellas get a much better deal where you live.

Adam
cgrey8
Supporting Member

Post by cgrey8 »

It's been a record hot summer for us. With the exception of today, it's been over 90 for about a month...and not just 90-91 days. MOST of those days have been in the 93-97 range. I'm really hoping the weather is backing off and will start ramping down into the 80s more consistently now.
...Always Somethin'

Admin of EECtuning.org
MalcolmV8
Supporting Member
SM: Yes

Post by MalcolmV8 »

Yeah you got us on rent for sure. Wow that's high lol. I guess what I save in rent I pay in a/c power bills :) we've been having 100 and 103F days and humidity off the charts. It's absolutely horrible. This week is supposed to cool down to the low 90s and maybe even high 80s. I can't wait :)

That probably also shows why some guys are happy to have no a/c on their v8 Rangers and some of us like Chris and myself don't consider that an option at all.
92 302 Ranger - sold
94 302 Ranger AWD - sold
07 BMW 335xi - tuned, boost turned up, E85 - sold
04 911 TT - to many mods to list. Over 600 All Wheel HP on pump gas - sold
2015 Coyote - daily driver
03 Cobra - 2.3 TVS on a built 12:1 CR motor with ported heads, cams, long tubes etc.
MD Racing Lean Protection Module
E85

Tuned by MD Racing

https://www.youtube.com/c/MalcolmV8